[Dev Blog] Prototype for platform shooter

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Just picked up Construct last week and have been loving it so far. I come from the creative side of things (graphic designer by trade) so I'm loving the way it all works.

Here's a crummy gif of what I've got so far. Really basic but just trying to get the mechanisms I'd like to use. No bullet events set up yet; that's on dock for this week.

Also working my way through JayJay's book (I'm using CC) and it is incredibly helpful. Dude also peeped my .cap file and fixed a collision error I was having and added some solid notation. Stoked that the community can be that supportive.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 pm

My daughter and I are just learning C2 - your start looks really great and she would be pretty jealous. Keep up the good work!

Kay.
Be a hero and introduce Project Isabella Graphic Workshop to schools and clubs.
Graphics For Schools
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:02 pm

It looks awesome :0
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:27 am

@RayKi and @blurtsmum Thanks!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:41 pm

With the help of @Stemkoski 's tutorial on AI and state machines, I was able to set up some simple states for my test enemies this weekend. Nothing worth showing, but they worked and my event sheet was organized which is mostly what I was after. Also learned about including event sheets within event sheets which is really handy. I'm a huge fan of organization and immediately saw the benefits of this.

Finishing up the Construct book this weekend and hoping to really start putting time towards the prototype next week.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm

The zero to game time in Construct 2 is so great.

I like the style of the game so far, although the field of view seems a bit small.
B
S

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:54 am

@icugigasoft Thanks for the constructive criticism! It is a bit cramped. I'll be sure to expand the FOV as I move forward.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:09 pm

looks addicting @bclikesyou :)
B
S

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks @MannyGill99!

[Update]
Finished up most of @JayJay 's book and definitely feel like I have a solid enough grasp to move forward with a prototype.

However!

I spent a while in the forums last night reading up on CC and, from what I've read, it just makes sense to hop up to C2 and avoid any potential issues that could arise down the road. I'm not looking to make a "big" game just yet, but I'd rather just make the jump to C2 now rather than in the middle of a project. Plus most of my friends (who I'd like to try my prototype) are mac users, so this way they'll actually get to try it out.

Most of what I learned so far seems like it can be applied to C2. So I'm going to take this weekend and "catch up" to where I was at with CC. Basically just remake the small layout I did / do Ashley's platformer tut and remake the state machine demo. Part of me is bummed that I spent 2 weeks with CC and don't have a ton to show but another part of me knows that it's the smarter thing to do moving forward.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 am

Thanks again for reading my book :) Moving on makes sense for multiplatform, and the knowledge really does carry on pretty easily into C2.

There are some things that CC can still do better right now, but sharing the game on anything other than Windows is definitely not one of those :P Also, C2 editor has some very appreciated improvements and is less buggy overall.

With export, right now Node Webkit 10.5 is the best choice for executable, but web is really what C2 is meant for while the third party wrappers (and Google Chrome) catch up to the promise of HTML5 + WebGL. If you use only Canvas2D (no WebGL FX) then WiiU might be a possible export platform too! (hopefully someday WiiU will support WebGL).

In the case of Insanity's Blade, I notice that the game demands a really high-spec (and recent) machine to run properly, where GPU limitations will decrease framerate, and CPU limitations can wreak havoc on collision, event ordering, and also framerate too (try to always stay at or above 60fps, or things get strange). We're still debugging oddities here and there, but overall the game is received well which we're glad for :)

Hope that helps and good luck! I really love the graphics style you're going with so far :)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (they wont run anywhere)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Next

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests