Developers who ever published on steam hear ye, hear ye!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Alright so I'm mere days away from finishing Klang. We sent the game through it's certification process, and Valve returned with this error message:

All Files, Executables and Registry Entries Are Removed After Uninstall Leaving Less than 5 MB Caution Caution:

Klang contains 26MB of files which remain after uninstalling App Title through Steam. 16 folders and 70 files remain in

C:\Users\Gamer\AppData\Local\Klang\User Data.

I looked into it, and found that there's a cache of roughly 40mb being generated the first time booting up Klang. I made tests to ensure that the caches size is not related to Klang's size. A blank game also makes a cache of 20-40mb. I'm curious if anyone one of you encountered this problem, and so how did you get around it? Was it even an issue? As of now I'm of the impression they're not gonna let me launch before I fix it.

Thanks

• Hello, that's a panic inducing error message so close to launch!

We've got the same caching issue. Here are a couple of links that look like they might have possible solutions:

This is about chromes cache location & size: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/10/19/how-to ... -and-size/

This thread on nw.js covers growing cache problems. https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/4695

Looks like we should be able to set caching to preferences and fix this by adding to package.json

The example on the nw,js thread is : "chromium-args": "--user-data-dir='temp/' --disk-cache-size=1 --media-cache-size=1 --incognito"

This is definitely an issue that affects everyone creating Steam games using C2, so would love to hear a follow up on this.

• Thinking it through, limiting caching would cause problems with saving, so probably not the right way to go. There must be a better way to create an 'uninstaller' for Steam to direct it to the \users\ directory.

edit:

So a follow up, I've experimented. I've not had any luck with: --disk-cache-size=1 --media-cache-size=1 --incognito I'm Seeing no difference in cache size at all adding these.

But --user-data-dir='temp/' is making the cache either move... somewhere... or not creating the cache.

edit2:

--user-data-dir='temp/' moves the cache to the root folder of your game (wherever it's installed), in a folder named temp. This might work? As the whole game will be in one folder. But this might cause permission problems?

• Actually I ended up making a .bat file with the help of a programmer that gets called upon with the steam's installation script that wipes it. We also made dxwebsetup run in quiet mode during startup, ensuring that everyone has webgl and other important components for installed before playing. Game's starting to feel really legit now actually!

• Tinimations excellent news. Really Looking forward Klang. I've sent you a PM.

• Mmmm, another NWjs problem. Great advice here - I just wrote my first .bat file!!

• Can someone explain this .bat stuff a bit more? Is this something everyone needs to do?

• Tinimations, this is really useful.... I've managed to create a .bat file that deletes the local cache folder, but it's being denied access whilst the game is running (I was hoping to check for and then delete the folder if it existed). How did you configure Steam to run the .bat? Installation/Launch Options doesn't seem right as the .bat will run before NWjs has created the cache (I think - but could be wrong..). Thanks.

• Colludium Well as long as it erases the cache on uninstall it's fine. You can't erase it while it's running. I'm sure that cache is actually crucial for NWjs' performance.

• Tinimations, how do you ensure the .bat runs on uninstall? I couldn't see the option to select this (only on game run)....

PS, your game looks very professional

• I don't know how you guys feel about this but I think it would be a good thing to call Ashley here and listen to what he can tell us about this.

It's just that I'm also going to launch a game on Steam sometime next year and I personally wouldn't like to deal with additional "workarounds" just to fix issues caused by NWjs.

• now thats something new and scary o.o shinkan

• Irbis It's just a bat, man ;P

• I don't know how you guys feel about this but I think it would be a good thing to call Ashley here and listen to what he can tell us about this.

It's just that I'm also going to launch a game on Steam sometime next year and I personally wouldn't like to deal with additional "workarounds" just to fix issues caused by NWjs.

Honestly start learning unreal with blueprints or unity with play maker. The ship is sinking here fast. Tons of bugs with no resolutions.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Honestly start learning unreal with blueprints or unity with play maker. The ship is sinking here fast. Tons of bugs with no resolutions.

You seem to change your opinions rather quickly, I remember a few days ago you were full on defending C2.

Anyway let's not start talking about that mess again please, just continue in the polite and normal way like we do right now.

I would like to not trash this topic with a lot of posts, so we can still have some sort of clean overview of the topics main concerns.

I hope you and the other guys here understand that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)