Developing a Game as Separate Modules

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 am

Hi,

First of all I like thank all the developers of Construct for creating such a wonderful tool. I have tried several game creation tools, but I still didnt find a tool that has the WYSIWYG capabilities AND rapid development facilities, which Construct has. :D

I have created few small games individually and now I am planning to create a game with some of my friends.

We wanted to develop the game with several levels. And each of our friends wants to work on "separate levels". Because my friends are in several locations and they want to create their level individually.

When we plan to integrate our levels, we faced a problem. We couldnt find a way to integrate separately created games in to a one game. We tried to copy layouts and event sheets between application and failed copy event sheets between different applications.

One method we tried was,

1) Create each level as separate .exe files.

2) At the end of level 1, it is saving the current state/ variables etc in a file (say myFile), and calling level2.exe and closing level1 application.

3) Level.exe loads state/ variables from myFile.

4) At the end of level2, it saves current state in myFile, calls level3.exe, closing level2.exe and so on.

With the above method we made it possible to work in separate levels as separate exe files. :idea: But the problem is, when closing and opening exe files, there is a noticeable delay. Also we cant add any transition between levels. And always saving and loading sate to/ from files was an overhead. :cry:

I understand that this is not the way to have to several levels in a game created with Construct. But we want to work on levels as separate units and integrate them in a later stage of the development. In other terms, I want to modularize this game and develop it with bottom up approach.

Can someone please help us with suggestions to develop a game as separate modules and integrate later?

Thanks in Advance.
- Ramesh
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:15 am

What I would do is create a level editor, and let your friends make levels with that. Plan out how you are going to save your level data into an array, and make your events accordingly. I have already done such a thing in Multimedia Fusion, and I don't see why the same thing can't be done in Construct.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it would probably be easier to do in Construct, since Construct allows you to create objects by name. Less busy work, more useful eventing.
B
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Someone has already requested that copying levels/events between applications and I think it is definately a very important thing to add. So hopefully that will be added soon and you'll be able to use that
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:09 pm

There should be other collaboration features too, like exporting single layouts or event sheets, or consisting projects of many .caps. But they are not that important that they couldn't wait past 1.0...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Copying and pasting layouts is not yet implemented which is a bit of a problem - hopefully once that's added it'll become a bit easier for you. Until then, unfortunately I think the best option is to send around one .cap file to each other...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:19 pm

[quote="Ashley":2uzjpzvx]Copying and pasting layouts is not yet implemented which is a bit of a problem - hopefully once that's added it'll become a bit easier for you. Until then, unfortunately I think the best option is to send around one .cap file to each other...[/quote:2uzjpzvx]

Thanks Ashley. I didnt know that this feature is not implemented yet. I thought that it is currently possible and I was thinking that I didnt find the correct way to do that. Anyway we are going to continue with the currently available features of Construct. We hope see this useful event copy/ event export feature in future releases of Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

[quote="Jcw87":yazfekxe]What I would do is create a level editor, and let your friends make levels with that. Plan out how you are going to save your level data into an array, and make your events accordingly. [/quote:yazfekxe]

Yes, I agree with you. The method you are specifying is a good way to develop levels. But at the moment we are trying to develop the game only using the features available with Construct 0.96.4 release. Therefore I am looking for a already available technique/ trick to modularize the game without modifying the source code of Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:04 pm

[quote="Ramesh":1yfidne7]Yes, I agree with you. The method you are specifying is a good way to develop levels. But at the moment we are trying to develop the game only using the features available with Construct 0.96.4 release. Therefore I am looking for a already available technique/ trick to modularize the game without modifying the source code of Construct.[/quote:1yfidne7]

You wouldn't need to modify the Construct source-code to make a level editor. :?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 pm

I was working on a proof of concept *.cap for you yesterday, however several bugs with the Layout object halted my progress. The level editor can still be done, but the GUI would be alot different than what I had in mind. I probably can't finish it before I leave for seattle though (going to the Penny Arcade Expo)
B
G

Post » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 am

Ramesh, I believe something like this is the solution you're looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1478
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic