[Devlog] Gorky

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:56 pm

I really like the shading you did on those tiles!, somehow it all reminds me a bit of Fez.
Maybe you can take something from Maxim Gorky's appearance, and use it on your game character to really make him stand out. (quick google search) I see he has a really big moustache and a hat on some photos, so maybe you can do something with that.
I'm looking forward to see some ingame footage!
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:20 pm

Yeah, I'm not completely happy with the character's design. He's charming, but could use some (a lot) of work. I'm still learning pixel art so we'll see how this goes.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Very interesting concept, and quite a design challenge. I'm very excited to see what direction you take this in!

I got a Fez vibe looking at it too. That's definitely a good thing. :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks @BigKid Icarus, I'm currently working on level design and the overall world as much as I can :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:23 pm

All of this seems weel made and clever. It's really exciting.
What do you plan to do with your game? will it be a free internet game? Do you plan to greenlight it or something (I'm pretty sure you could if you work a bit and comunicate on it, and if you're lucky of course)?
It looks great anyway!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:28 pm

It will be a free web game / downloadable :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Really looking forward to this! I can't wait to try this out in the future. I'm loving the look so far too.
Check out my projects Quest Board! Pixel Disk
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks @elitezore. I'm currently working on basic / boring game system things, but I'll be uploading some new screenshots soon enough.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:51 am

missing props, char animations, etc, yup.

initial level mockup. also a potential secret. I used pretty much the same tile tfor the walls, but there will be more variations in the final version, obviously. The roof is just a straight line at the moment. In the final version, I will make it so it looks more "organic". Maybe plants fall from it, or there are just simply parts that are lower, etc.

In this level, the player is supposed to learn that he can wall jump and double jump. Two essential mechanics that he will soon lose :)

I'm currently missing the levels with Tiled. I'm using a tiled object set to solid, with which I only draw the outline of the levels. This is pretty much the first gif, but just with the level "skeleton". I'm then adding monsters (which are their own object) and props (possibly the same).
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:07 am

So, I've been working on a progression sequence for the game. Basically, what this is, is a simple summary of what will happen in the game. Each room presents you with a new power-down and a new challenge relating to the power-down. In this sequence, you're not supposed to be able to go back or at least, you're supposed to be able to progress even if you do.

You will also notice I changed the main character's design. It's a placeholder! I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

You guys can try it out here, I'd be more than happy to hear your feedback, ideas and problems with it. Obviously, graphics are placeholder and all that. What's important here is simply the game mechanic on itself. Let me know what you think.
edit : progression sequence is offline now

I'm aware of some bugs (can't double jump next to wall). Deal with it for now :(
JUMP X
Double JUMP X,X
Last edited by alvarop on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests