Devlog Powhatan resource management / strategy WIP

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

@mineet

Those are all good games to look to for inspiration. I would also suggest looking into King Of Dragon Pass, for a different approach to trading/storytelling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Dragon_Pass). It's quite an old game, but has recently been revamped for ipad (and can also be bought for cheap on PC from gog.com).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 pm

@Dave Hailwood
hi thanks for the recommendation :)
I've just started the age of empire, I'm hooked lol and I'm only at the learning tutorial.. its good, not sure if im taking in inspiration I've been so busy building and hunting lol
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:32 pm

@mineet

That's the best thing about making games. You get to play them for eight hours, and pretend you're doing research...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 am

@Dave Hailwood
lol yes thats true.
I looked into the game you mentioned.. I like the idea of it not being animated. I think that may work better for my artstyle.. Its something for me to think about.. thanks for that
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 am

@mineet Sid Mier's Pirates - for any system - has trading in it. Probably one of the best "sims" ever made. It keeps coming back in new incarnations on new systems. Last is Wii/iOS, first time I played it was on c64! Epic game.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:07 pm

@damainman
thank you for the recommendation, I'm going to look out for it on PC (cheap)
would you say its one of the best games for trading?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:19 pm

@mineet Yeah, I'd say one of the top 5. You sink a ship, you plunder it's goods. You go to a dock you can trade said goods for other goods or money. Also each ship has a limit to how much it can hold. Very simplistic. But it would be no different than selling something as far as programming goes. Money is a variable and say...livestock is also a variable. You'd set up a ratio for those two - 1 livestock = 20 money. etc etc.

Different towns or traders depending on how you want to handle it can offer things at a different ratio (I'm terrible at math so someone else would have to help you there. One trader offers you $20 per Livestock, another offers $15 but may offer you $20 for sugar for example.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:46 am

@damainman
hi, thanks so much for the detailed reply..
I have managed to come across a copy for the P.C.. I have yet to play it though..
I do like how in age of empires there has to be a balance.. so the player has to think of all areas..
(although my game will be less hectic,and much simpler )
I haven't much experience with trading games so i'm hoping your recommendation will help me with this area...
thanks in advance
mineet2013-06-27 00:51:21
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:45 pm

@mineet No problem :) I've played the crap out of that game in some shape or form for the past...20 years or more haha! It's stuck in my mind pretty good. The portable versions are like crack. PSP and iOS. Also I'm wondering if Civilization is another one to look at...

Anyhow, have fun creating!!!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 am

@damainman
hi, I couldnt get the game to work on my P.c, but luckly I'm able to require retro games quite easily..
I had a few choices and decided after reading the cover to play Patrician iii... has anyone played it? its good... its all about trading.. the menus are really good with detailed information on your stock .. and pop ups with news appear to help you plan your next moves..also clicking on certain buildings gives you information and choices.. all trading is done at the trading docks... which I thought could work with mine ... say have a meeting place for trading.. in addition I like the idea of a heading across the top with icons to give you basic instant information.. money/ buildings etc..
the trading menu works well too, with your stock. their stock and how much you have paid in columns...
(example below)

I think I will explore this game more (because its so enjoyable) but also the some of other games I have at hand.. 'PHARAOH' AND THE SETTLERS IV,, to give me different ideas..
mineet2013-06-28 05:43:07
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations