Dialogue in 'typewriter text' (Scrolling NPC conversations)

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi Magi, thanks for adding your insights. Do you mean adding an 'Else' statement to that first sub event? I appreciate the tip and it sounds promising (also because I've still got nothing haha). I'm curious as to what you mean by 'popping out the array'. I've got a basic working knowledge of arrays, but in this instance I'm not sure how I'd go about using them to get around the issue. Any insights are always greatly appreciated :) I'll keep playing with it as well haha.
B

Post » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah, that's basically adding an else statement to the first sub-event. Here's the capx, with added mumbo jumbo to hide all NPC but the "speaking" one. Not really necessary but I tried to reproduce your events as closely as possible. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Just added the above to Magistross example if you want it to wait 5 seconds then switch automatically.
But, please insert another condition. I didn't add it.
Maybe a variable called talkingmodeon and set that to 1 for on and 0 for off.
So it needs waiting to be 1 and talkingmodeon to be 1 to trigger the event.
So when you want to trigger the talking stuff, you mark it 1, and when you want to deactivate you make it 0.

There are tons of ways to do same thing, some better than others. As you develop your game further you will find new ways to handle this, that match what you are trying to do ;)
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:33 am

If you looked at my wrote-in-three-hours entry for deception jam at https://github.com/paulscottrobson/Deception there is a scrolling three line typewriter which is very primitive but does work.
My tutorial through development blog is at http://myconstruct2dev.blogspot.co.uk/
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:28 am

Guys, I don't know what to say - thank you all so much for your collective input and intelligent advice. I've learned so much trying to go through the ropes here and this community I think is a big part of what makes this package so appealing. Thanks again. I only just got back online, but I'll have a look at all of your feedback, try to implement and learn from it, and let you know how it all goes in the finished product. Believe it or not this is for the intro to the game (a simple top down racer), but I've struggled more with this section than any other part, so your help has been appreciated greatly.
B

Post » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:59 am

@FLF355,

Upon reflection, the reason I said create another check condition is to stop the dialogue running contineously during the game.
Events run top to bottom every tick, and a condition not met means that section is excluded until the conditions are met.

I usually put all my code for various aspects in seperate eventsheets and have those event sheets called via groups and I toggle those groups on and off to activate/deactivate groups.

Big games you don't want code running 'every tick' etc etc etc
So it allows code to run, when it needs to run.

Good luck with the game.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?