Dialogue System Template (Templates)

Discuss Scirra's 2D Asset Store

Post » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be watching the development of this template and I look forward to see the improvements you will make on it.

Best regards,
Lucius
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:32 am

New version is awaiting approval ! The "long awaited" choice command is now in!

@fremachuca You ought to check it out, it might interest you particularly. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:29 pm

awesome!!! ill definitely check it out asap!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:06 pm

fremachuca wrote:the utility is awesome to test a couple of sequences out. but what I would like to is to have all my dialogue in a google docs spreadsheet so that it would be easier to organize, tweak and send to others to translate later.
how could i make this transition from google docs -> DialogueDictionary ?

Hi again @fremachuca, just to tell you that a new version has been approved that include CSV exporting/importing. So you could now use your favorite CSV Editor to edit your dialogues! However, you'd still have to use the provided utility to make the CSV to JSON conversion, since the engine still use Dictionary and Array as data structures.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

This is really interesting and looks like just what I need, but I'm wondering will this work with iOS/Android exports? Also, I really wish someone would make a video tutorial on how to use this, I'm new to Construct 2 and it can get a little overwhelming at times, a quick video tut would really be great...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:07 pm

There is no reason why it wouldn't work with iOS, Android or any other export option as it uses only basic C2 features. However, I never tested it, so don't take my word for granted.

A video tutorial would be a great idea, but unfortunately, I can't speak English for the life of me... maybe an annotated video would suffice ?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi Magistross, yes an annotated video would be wonderful! :D
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:32 pm

hey @magistross !
tried out the latest version and its looking real nice!
love the ability to now have all my dialogue organized in a google drive spreadsheet.
also the {actions} and fork are great to have! opened up the possibilities a lot!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:14 am

I just bought this system, it looks great, I'm excited to get it up and running but hitting a wall.
I followed your steps to add the event to my own new project. Calling the start dialogue function is still not doing anything for me. Could you please add an example capx or at least a screenshot of how a dialogue box is called? Then I can at least compare and figure out what part of this I'm not getting.
B
S

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:54 am

@funcooker
There are basically two way to handle the dialogue initiating. You can either load the DialogueData array before each dialogue with JSON (preferably pre-loaded) and then call the "Dialogue_Start()" function with no parameter on any event of your choice. Or, you can use the DialogueDictionary, pre-loaded with JSON data, and use the "Dialogue_Start(key)" function, with key being the name of the dialogue to start, the DialogueData will then automatically be loaded with the data associated to that key from the dictionary.

Here's a very basic screenshot of an example using the DialogueData array.
You should usually pre-load the data though, and store it so you don't have to go through the AJAX routine to start a dialogue. Or simply use the DialogueDictionary method, only one AJAX call is needed in this case.

There are also a few other considerations to have. The default layer for the system is "HUD", so you need a layer with name in your layouts, otherwise nothing will happen. If you have scrolling in your layouts, then the HUD layer should also have correct parallax settings so that dialogue still appear wherever the screen is scrolled to.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Scirra Store