DirectX End User Runtimes

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
High quality user interface sound effects for Sci-Fi projects
  • When ever I have a friend test out a game, or I try to distribute one, the users have to download end user run-times. Not to be a dick, but to just point out the obvious, most of my friends and user of my programs are too fucking stupid to know what the hell a "Direct X", "end user", or "runtime" is. Nor can they Google it and download it. In fact when I give them a link to download it from they cant even do that.

Because of this massive lapse in intelligence I usually just tell them to install construct to play my game, it is alot easier for them to understand.

Is there anyway to bundle the DX runtimes with the game? Could that be a feature implemented? When they install a game its all leik "YOU NEED RUNTIMES, CLICK NEXT FOR THEM." Can this be done pretty please?

• Well, they are already given a link if they do not have the runtimes. A direct link to the download might be better, however.

That being said, if they can't figure out how to do that themselves when given a link right to it, are they going to even be able to figure out your game?

I would vote for a direct link, but I dont know if including the runtimes is needed even as an option. That is just me, though.

• I don't think this is necessary nor should it be forced. Almost every professional application or game comes with an installer not the game just zipped or something.

You should set up an installer packaged with DirectX to distribute your games. There are a few installer creators out there, the best known open source is the one from nullsoft I think.

Nullsoft Scriptable Install System

• are they going to even be able to figure out your game?

Well, there are people that only use the pc for gaming and don't care about the rest, like how to download things.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > are they going to even be able to figure out your game?

>

Well, there are people that only use the pc for gaming and don't care about the rest, like how to download things.

Anyone who plays a lot of computer games should know how to use a computer.

In fact, depending on what kind of gaming someone is doing (e.g. not flash games on a kids website), they should know far more than the average computer user.

• This is a constant pain and probably won't go away until we add a bundled-DirectX files feature (depending on if that's legal).

The dialog has a button you can click and it takes you straight to the DirectX download page. I really can't think of a way to make it any simpler. Any ideas?

• I really can't think of a way to make it any simpler. Any ideas?

The button only takes you to the download website, but not the actual link for the download. A friend of mine couldn't figure out what to do once he got to the page since there are so many different versions on that page. It needs to point straight to the download.

• I didn't do that because the links on the Microsoft website seem to change every few months. I wouldn't want a bunch of old games to end up redirecting to a 404, that's worse than the category page...

• Anyone who plays a lot of computer games should know how to use a computer.

In fact, depending on what kind of gaming someone is doing (e.g. not flash games on a kids website), they should know far more than the average computer user.

Not really true. For example some people in my class play a lot of pc games but I they don't know anything about DirectX or OpenGL.

It's just most games you buy already have DirectX bundled in it and a lot of people don't realize that DirectX is installing while they are installing the game.

• maybe you could mention the file to be downloaded below the link and if they can read english they can probably download it

But I think if somebody plays computer games they probably know about DirectX, drivers and stuff.

• well construct install is packaged with the right Dx version? why not give an option to build an install the exact same way except for our games?

• Yeah, now that you mention this. The game could be just bundled with the needed version of DirectX like the Construct Installer. It's not really necessary for Construct to have the newest version of DirectX. Right?

• Yeah, now that you mention this. The game could be just bundled with the needed version of DirectX like the Construct Installer. It's not really necessary for Construct to have the newest version of DirectX. Right?

But that's exactly what you would do with NSIS. I don't see, why it is ignored? It creates an installer and you can package it with whatever is needed...

• Easy way to deal with this:

1. Bundle dxwebsetup.exe with your game and point people to it

2. If your game uses an installer, make it run the DirectX installer during the process.

Also, I would recommend Inno Setup 5 over NSIS for your installer needs. It's what me & Zotged used with Niilu and it's also what Construct uses.

• I agree, it's up to you to include it in your installer or zip.

Ashley: As for making it easier to find the download, can you re-word the message so that it says exactly what the person will find and what to click? Even though it seems dumb and painfully obvious

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)