Disappointed over bad communications!!!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:53 am

Aphrodite wrote:@Ribis in the scope of C2, unless webGL is off, the game is not entirely loaded into memory, it only loads the assets that the current layout is using, and unloads the ones that will not be used on the next one when swtiching layout.

About that...
request-quot-unload-from-memory-quot-action_t121551
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 am

If we add global warming to the discussion ... we likely have covered just about everything >_>
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:57 pm

lennaert wrote:If we add global warming to the discussion ... we likely have covered just about everything >_>

And what did we all have for breakfast?
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:39 am

@Ashley, not to be a pain, but just hoping you got my emailed *.capx. First one went through without most of the text, but I sent one the other day with attachment. I figured a few business days, but I'm getting a bit edgy because I simply cannot figure out what's wrong. : p
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 am

Between C3 development and C2 maintenance I'm pretty busy at the moment, please allow me a couple of weeks to get round to those .capxs.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Alright! In the mean time I know what to work on. Thank you for the reply. : )
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:55 pm

Reading through the many posts I can understand the frustration that games may not be running smoothly when exported to mobile devices, I'm in the process of developing myself, but not at that stage yet.

Due to the way Construct works and provides users with a very simple way of game creation, I think a number of users abuse this and fail to optimise their product & a lot of the fault is their own. You can't really expect to create something & throw together numerous Hi Def sprites, god knows how many particle systems and physics going on, without testing, testing, testing and expect to work as you think it is supposed to in your mind.

I think a lot of users take for granted that they do not have to use/learn code in Construct 2, a coder will optimise, refine & sacrifice elements of a game to get the performance results they need on other platforms, where by it would appear by the numerous posts Construct 2 users seem to think they can get away without any of this?

There are always alternatives out there, so you could always learn to code and use an alternative engine, I’m no coder myself & unless I want to put the 10,000 hours in to become proficient, then Construct 2 allows me to experiment & potentially release my ideas. :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:28 pm

@troxx, my issue with mobile comes from engine specific issues, I believe. After r196 as other users have even noted, physics have become unstable. My game otherwise is 320x320, uses 16x16 sprites, and a tilemap also of 16x16. I mean damn, that is about as low res as it can get!

So that is why I need a professional eye.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:40 pm

@DatapawWolf

Because of the way modern engines work, the difference between small sprites and big sprites in rendering time is usually pretty small, the main issue is with screen resolution and pixel shaders. If a pixel shader is covering more pixels thats what's going to slow things down, much more than just having a large texture. This means if a low res sprite is stretched it's still going to have almost the same GPU cost as a un-stretched high res sprite with a pixel shader, if that shader incorporates any kind of blending (and i'm pretty sure even if it doesn't blend). Modern engine architecture generally means tiles are more expensive than large quads, so it's not really a fair comparison to say just because your game looks lo-fi and has tiles like 16-bit era games it should run better. Tiled images are actually a lot more expensive in most cases than a chunked "Braid style" map, if you're not counting the memory savings.

Really the issue is that mobile CPUs are slow and a physics engine running through JS isn't going to be able to squeeze a ton of performance out of a mobile phone, especially running on-top of the expensive event/picking execution system. There's a performance tradeoff you get just by using construct, even if you barely have anything in your project.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

@QuaziGNRLnose since the update I specified there was a slowdown with something I am using (and I suspect physics because it's the only intensive behavior I have). Nothing, nothing at all had been updated besides one revision of the C2 engine, and all of a sudden I started having issues. Other users as well.

Also, I was just springboarding off the last post based on my assumptions about the resolution of graphics affecting the cost on hardware. It's good to know, so thank you.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General