Disappointed over bad communications!!!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Don't forget that C2's engine isn't just Javascript being interpreted by a browser, its events being interpreted into Javascript, that is being interpreted into machine code that uses all kinds of third party code, png, wavs, etc.

What's amazing is that it works as well as it does.
To me the only question is what can you do with it?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:26 pm

@Fimbul

Fimbul wrote:If only people would publish their games for others like me (or Ashley) to pick apart, we could point out the problem and optimize them. Heck, I might even sell that as a service.
What is the point of using C2 then, if we need professionals to make our games work well on mobile devices?
Only to create games that work well on desktop pc's but not on mobile without professional help is not what you expect from an engine that tells us:
Scirra wrote:You can now make advanced games without writing a line of code. Construct 2 does the hard work so you don't have to... ...True multiplatform support. Build your game in Construct 2 and publish it to all these platforms...
I really think that Ashley did a great job making it possible to create games that easily, but if we cannot make "big" games with a lot of sprites, that would mean that C2 just focuses on the most simplistic and smallest game mechanics in order to work well with great performance on mobile devices.
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Fimbul wrote:Performance on the desktop, at least for me, is great. Mobile games have good performance as well, even on my comparatively ancient Galaxy Note 2

Most mobile games are a joke, the top selling games rarely have more than 50 sprites on-screen at a time, and yet you see people here wanting to create mobile games with 1000 sprites, all with physics enabled and two/three effects

How do you export your mobile games?
Cant confirm this. My sample with 2 sprites, 1 has bullet behavior is jerking on PC using chrome and on galaxy s4 exported with intel xdk crosswalk <- prefered method by scirra

So for me it has nothing to do with 1000 sprites.

There are 100 of posts where people are wailing about the performace on android....
B

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 pm

At the risk of sounding like a stupid asshole:

In my honest opinion, Ashley needs to stop dreaming about new features to add, editor improvements and stop developing Construct 3.

There I said it. And here's why.

Construct 2 is nowhere near finished. It's buggy, a lot of things in it don't work like there's supposed to. A lot of users have to set up events that cancel out the engine's own stupidity.

I say that instead of making Construct 3 an editor improvement, or making it at all he finish Construct 2. GDevelop uses another language for native windows export, why can't Construct 2?

Why do we need an editor improvement when the engine behind it isn't working like it's supposed to? Especially when the underlying engine is literally Construct 2 and the only change is the editor. Why Ashley isn't just making this into a major update for Construct 2 is beyond me. The only reason I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I remember when someone was asking Ashley if Construct 2 could do 3D games, and he said that it's be near-impossible with the current engine/framework/editor or whatever. Then all of a sudden Q3D comes out, a frickin plugin that allows C2 to become C2-3D (make your own R2-D2 jokes at your leisure).

All the earlier adopters here are saying that Construct 2 was planned to have more exporters, not just HTML5. Why didn't they?
Why isn't there still a global boolean despite it being request back in 2011.
Construct 2's development timeline is basically a magpie, it sees a shiny new feature and grabs it, forgetting the old buggy stuff it still hasn't fixed.

God help you if you have a randomly occurring bug, Ashley won't even think about your post let alone try to fix your problem.
Sometimes even the bug fixes are actually bug implementations, I downloaded r202 and now the "On finished" audio trigger doesn't work.

For the past year I've been on the scirra forums, and have been using Construct 2. Literally all I've ever hear Ashley say about bugs, performance and the ilk was "Not my fault, Chrome broke, I am not accountable for third-party software, they have to make their software work, not me." Yet you entirely depend on that software.

Or it was "We just need to be patience and wait, things will get better", I've been hearing this for an entire year, early adopters have been hearing this the entire time, has it gotten better?

Since the creation of Construct 2, I'd say yes it has gotten better. But it's also gotten worse. We have at least 3 wrappers being utter garbage.

We have NW.js so broken that I think nearly all users have rolled back to 10.5, Ashley even needed to make a page with a special section showing older builds.
I don't follow mobile so correct me if I'm wrong, but Crosswalk is super bad, the Ludei wrapper isn't supported by Construct 2 anymore since it's outdated or something.

In the last 2-3 months, there's been increasing amounts of talk about a LOT of Construct 2 users jumping ship and going to learn other engines, a lot of the people posting here are saying the same thing. I myself have been looking at GameMaker Studio.
Even the people that Ashley posted on his front page to showcase Construct 2's "capability" have said themselves they will not be using Construct 2 in the future for any more projects and that they are losing money because Construct 2 is incomplete.

I say Ashley fixes the current engine instead of building more marketing (See: Construct 3) to coax people into buying software that doesn't deliver. I find it very ironic that on the Construct 3 page, there's one of the three developers that swore off Construct 2.

Fix Construct 2, finally add more exporters not wrappers. How happy would people be if they could export to something other than HTML5?

Here's a protip: You're only allowed to make the new iteration of Construct when people who made games you're using to promote your software stop leaving (or come back if they're left).

I love Construct 2. The editor is great, amazing and the best I've ever seen. The work-flow is orgasmic.
But it's bloated and broken by bugs and crappy wrappers that don't do what the hell they're supposed to.
It has a lot of potential, most of all because of the intuitive editor, but it's being squandered.

So yeah, feel free to call me a dumbass troll for not knowing anything or whatever. But I just want Construct 2 to actually work.
I had to roll back to r201 from r202 because the audio was broken, despite the changelog specifically saying it was fixed. I mean what the hell was that? Opposite day?

The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Nesteris wrote:At the risk of sounding like a stupid asshole:

In my honest opinion, Ashley needs to stop dreaming about new features to add, editor improvements and stop developing Construct 3

That is exacly what was in my mind, thank you for posting this!
Now it would be nice if we get a response. :|
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:

In my honest opinion, Ashley needs to stop dreaming about new features to add, editor improvements and stop developing Construct 3

That is exactly what was in my mind, thank you for posting this!

The part about me being a stupid asshole or the second part? :lol:
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:51 pm

Nesteris wrote:
TheRealDannyyy wrote:

That is exactly what was in my mind, thank you for posting this!

The part about me being a stupid asshole or the second part? :lol:

Second part of course :D
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:55 pm

I think what is happening to Construct 2 is basically what happened to Construct Classic. It's buggy, unfinished but Ashley has moved on to Construct 3, leaving behind an unfinished product with which only a handful of developers, if even that, made a succeeded game with.
CC - Iconocaust (or whichever the name was, didn't remember it properly) and Minitroid (non-commercial, apparently was a nightmare to make).
C2 - The Next Penelope, Cosmochoria, Airscape

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in both iterations of those Construct programs, haven't the developers of their games left Construct while Ashley moved onto the next iteration?

At least with the transition from Classic to 2 we were getting a new engine and language. From 2 to 3 we're getting a new editor.
When the transition from 3 to 4 comes what are we going to get then? An improved toolbar?
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 pm

I never wanted to sound like I'm angry about C2 at itself.
I just wanted to say that if we pay 100€ (in my case), get a 1st class game editor and tons of possibilties to make games, we expect the game to at least run stable and bugfree on every plattform that is mentioned and promised, not only the PC.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Nesteris wrote:I think what is happening to Construct 2 is basically what happened to Construct Classic. It's buggy, unfinished but Ashley has moved on to Construct 3, leaving behind an unfinished product with which only a handful of developers, if even that, made a succeeded game with.
CC - Iconocaust (or whichever the name was, didn't remember it properly) and Minitroid (non-commercial, apparently was a nightmare to make).
C2 - The Next Penelope, Cosmochoria, Airscape

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in both iterations of those Construct programs, haven't the developers of their games left Construct while Ashley moved onto the next iteration?

At least with the transition from Classic to 2 we were getting a new engine and language. From 2 to 3 we're getting a new editor.
When the transition from 3 to 4 comes what are we going to get then? An improved toolbar?

I don't know C1 that well, but I heard it had a lots of crashes and a bad exporters and that was why the development stopped (correct me if I'm wrong).
And I'm afraid of C2 happening the same... :|
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General