Discord moderators: you need to do a better job

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Ashley wrote:Do you mean to defend people's right to be abusive to Scirra staff? How is that even up for debate? It is so completely unacceptable that I strongly encourage anyone who thinks that to leave. Go and use someone else's software if you really think that.

With all due respect that was never the case and never will be. And not only to Scirra staff but to anyone. We have taken action for the personnal attack you received, and are always taking action as soon as anyone is attacked and/or harrassed. If you had read our rules, you'd know that we don't allow that.

Please, I nicely ask that you calm down, and stop putting words in other people's mouth. He said that the discord server allowed for some discussions to continue outside the forums if they were closed. I don't know what you exactly mean by "people [who] cannot abide by basic rules of civilised conduct" but you know that in a forum discussion it's rarely only one or two members and some other people might wanna keep on discussing the topic without seeing the discussion closed because someone else couldn't keep things respectful.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Ashley, I wasn't focusing on any specific rule in particular, nor did I have in mind any specific rule when I wrote my post. I was simply giving my thoughts on aspects related to moderating a community and what I have noticed in communities I've been a part of in the past.
I was speaking generally about rules as a whole, not necessarily what the rules are.

This brings up another point though, regarding interpretation, and how words can be misconstrued. I'm not sure if I need to go into that subject though, as then it becomes an issue of which interpretation is more relevant or appropriate, etc.. And everyone has different viewpoints on that.

Without knowing your situation you mentioned, I can only judge based on my interpretation and understanding from what I experience personally. I can only assume that since you put yourself in front of so many people, you're more likely to be targeted by others in various different ways because everyone has different mental states. Do whatever you need to do to control your own sanity though- I just hope it serves good example.
I think that's the main thing I was getting at in my post- that there will always be a preconceived notion of superiority due to the few in charge over the vast collective- and how you behave will always be scrutinized in detail because everyone's attention is funneled towards your way since you sit at the top. I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong- I'm just sharing my experience and viewpoint.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Prominent wrote:Do whatever you need to do to control your own sanity though

Yeah, well, towards that I'm going to close this thread now. All I want is for me and the rest of the Scirra staff to be able to do our jobs without receiving abuse. That's not up for debate, and I'm not prepared to discuss it any further. It should not need any further explaining. It is the sole point I want to make here: there is a minimum standard of behavior that is required. If you can't do that, then you should leave.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic