Do they will support webGL for iOS 6 and Android?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • I'm just wondering, if is possible to support WebGL for mobiles with appmobi or cocoonJS in the future.

• I don't think WebGL is supported on iOS 6. Annoyingly iOS already internally supports WebGL, but has it disabled in the browser. You can't turn it on without getting your app rejected from the app store (they ban using "private APIs").

Mobile browsers tend to be a year or two behind desktop browsers. I anticipate eventually most mobiles will support WebGL. (Apart from Windows 8...)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I guess Android and Blackberry will beat Apple. I don't get why everyone is using iOS devices, it may be worthless and doesn't support to the developers. For Example, Android is very open and can use custom browser, Blackberry provides better support for developers with different tools.

Apple, not so a friend for developers, it won't accept custom browsers until use safari core and a lot of things that you can't do.

• Oh boy are you hilarious wrong.

• What do you mean? Apple is notorious for being extremely expensive, hostile to developers and a suppressor for innovation. I truly don't get why people use iOS either.

• Oh boy are you hilarious wrong.

It was sarcasm :p

• What do you mean? Apple is notorious for being extremely expensive, hostile to developers and a suppressor for innovation. I truly don't get why people use iOS either.

Yeah. There no reason to argue that.

• Fanboys can state all they want but in fact Apple is even worse than 90s Microsoft.

A little OT: I work as sysadmin and I never seen an OS bloated and bugged like OsX mountain lion since Windows ME.

• All : I'm under the NDA about the iOS 6 SDK, but I won't break anything by saying it's not supported in the upcoming new iOS version (since it wasn't announced as one of the new features during the WWDC).

If you jailbreak the phone, however, you can activate WebGL for all the WebViews.

And unfortunately those are pretty easily overlooked by consumers, who just want easy to use devices. This is the same company that's exploiting all that labor in China. Builders and developers can get bullied as much as Apple likes, consumers don't care. On the other hand, Android is super awesome for developers! Not quite so much for consumers.

• Android vs. Apple... Blah blah blah. IMHO, Apple is better in most ways, they just treat their developers like crap (speaking from experience). PhoneGap (i think) actually supports WebGL on iOS. Here's how they do it:

Apple allows WebGL in iAds, so it's there, just not accessible by the web because it's just "not secure" (http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2011/06/16/webgl-considered-harmful.aspx). That being said, there is a way to hack through the wall keeping UIWebViews from using WebGL. Look here for more info: atnan.com/blog/2011/11/03/enabling-and-using-webgl-on-ios

And so that's how PhoneGap supports WebGL.

Here, you can enable WebGL on jailbroken iOS devices:

demoseen.com/webglenabler

Thanks!

• Zoyt : no, you don't have WebGL on PhoneGap because it uses a UIWebView. If you release something using a WebView having WebGL enabled, you can't send it to the AppStore, it won't pass validation.

• Pode - Thanks. I did not understand that. Now I've got myself thinking... Construct 2 + iAds...

• Zoyt : you can of course add an iAd to your game to show some WebGL niceties. Or design a whole iAd in WebGL with Construct (like designing a banner).

However you can't design your iAd like a game (it must pass Apple validation, and they are strict about that), and you it's really not easy to add yourself to the iAd program, because they select who is going to create iAd for their network (selection based on money and brand fame).

• I think the reason why many developers still prefer iOS is that the testing is easier, because there aren't myriad devices to test on.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)