Do tutorials/advic count as intellectual property?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:49 pm

If I learn a specific technique to execute an action (let's say someone describes the way they best do a jumping/attack mechanic in C2 on the forum). Does this constitute their intellectual property?

Now, I'm planning to get the paid version of this program once I finish my first demo.

But I was thinking, if I make a game using knowledge obtained from these forums, am I allowed to sell said game?

Sure, if I copied and pasted someones code, obviously thats wrong. But what if you just followed someones tutorial and used similar commands/inputs/values to do specific parts of your game?

Is it assumed that all advice/tutorial knowledge is public domain?

Cheers!
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:58 pm

[QUOTE=Awakening]If I learn a specific technique to execute an action (let's say someone describes the way they best do a jumping/attack mechanic in C2 on the forum). Does this constitute their intellectual property?[/QUOTE]

If that were the case - which, don't worry, it isn't - very very few people would be able to sell anything. Tutorials and advice given are for helping people learn! Of course you can use what you've learned here in your own commercial creations. :)Arima2012-06-16 17:01:29
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm

I hope you have never read anything I have written, or you shall be charged a heavy royalty ;)

Sure glad it's not like that!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Providing all your events and artwork are original, you'd be fine. Even copying a small number of events should be fine. I think the only problem would be if you copied a large number of someone else's events without modification, since this is getting closer to "ripping off their game", but I'm not sure how the law would handle that. Still, sounds like you'll be absolutely fine.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=Arima] [QUOTE=Awakening]If I learn a specific technique to execute an action (let's say someone describes the way they best do a jumping/attack mechanic in C2 on the forum). Does this constitute their intellectual property?[/QUOTE]

If that were the case - which, don't worry, it isn't - very very few people would be able to sell anything. Tutorials and advice given are for helping people learn! Of course you can use what you've learned here in your own commercial creations. :)[/QUOTE]

I thought so! Provided you aren't copying someones art/code/concept verbatim I wouldn't have thought it was a problem.

I'm very OCD with legal things like this when I'm not sure, lol :P
B
S

Return to Construct 2 General