Do you feel developing has broken some of your immersion?

Discuss new games or share memories of old

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:54 pm

Yes, sadly. Compared to pure consumers, I think we do lose that sense of wonder, as makers/creators/pros we see more technical aspects of stuffs. :D
Last edited by Allen T on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:32 pm

I try as much as possible turn off my critical sense when I'm playing to relax. It is important to study a game for our own learning, but you often don't want to think too much about mechanics, you want just get distracted and have fun.

-Gleison
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:05 am

Definitely for me. I start to breakdown and analyze a game as I am playing them.
B
S

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm

At times definitely yes, I find myself gazing at textures or wondering how this or that is done so nicely, how I can replicate a certain effect or whatever, but personally I'm not upset by it, I feel it's a relatively small price to pay as developing games is something I enjoy far more than playing games, which I know might sound crazy to some people but I love the creative process so much that this is just how I feel :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 am

jobel wrote:I don't get as immersed in games mainly because I don't have the time for it. Making games has become my "game" now. But when I do have time off, I can get into games again...it's a different mode though. It's like how I go on vacation and it takes me a few days to actually relax. so yeah, time is the main factor.

exactly what jobel said, but also im looking at games now different, i mean, i see smaller games that can be developed in C2 like browser mmorpgs and other Half life like games, and im trying to understand their engine how it works, and if its possible to be made in C2 , then i play it just for that purpose and i do get that nostalgia and captivity into it, but once i understand how all functionalities of the game can be made, i lose interest and move to next facebook game or what ever it is :))) thats what happens when you start making games... for some atleast...

and also .. not sure if its only me... but i have this miss conception that anyone can make games, just they choose to play tricks on me being so into a specific game, im like... you know you can build your own version right? its pretty darn easy at some point... its like playing with Fake Santa Claus knowing he will pull out some sort of a trick at sometime... i dont know if u understand me ... but thats how i feel playing games, and seeing hyped people playing games...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:32 am

The immersion has not left me but it has evolved to a much more understanding level.
Do i wish it was like when i was 10 years old, full of wonder and gazing at all the beauty and adventure on screen.
For me the answer is no, not without understanding how and why things work the way they do in games.
But i do miss the friends to play with that where there once, playing together is such a great immersion.
Friends grow older and go about their business, some being married and having children or just losing interest in playing together.
I like the social immersion of the arcade, and i am truly happy i can immerse myself completely in C2 and the wonderful world of game creation.
C2 is my playground and players worldwide are like the biggest EndBoss i have ever faced.
If i play good in C2 then maybe one day the social immersion around one of my creations gets a boost from them.

If anything then game developing has given a boost to functional clarity.
And i think clarity can beat down any illusion, games are beautiful illusions so same rule applies for that. (for me)
I love reality but can still enjoy a very simple illusion, but i do need to be in the mood for the latter
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 am

Of course. It's the same in every industry. Movies actors don't really watch movies like the general public, no more than famous singers treat each other like screaming fans. At first I would feel like it was a bane, like games were less fun, but you get to create things, and learn... Trust me, it's not just games, if you let it, your view of movie actors, singers, games... all of it will change, and you'll start treating famous people like other content creators..

Don't worry about it.. Idolizing people isn't healthy or good anyway. Count yourself lucky you don't want to be a screaming fan that wants to lick some guys tooth brush just because he sold a million records... No one wants to be around people like that anyway... Also, you're maturing into a place where your less blind. This is also a positive direction.
B
S

Previous

Return to Game Discussions