Do you use Python in Construct?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 am

and i hope python will be fixed when construct 1.0 is released...
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:35 am

[quote="abhilash2863":7wze6zvq]i'd love to use python if there was some documentation for it...since i'm new to python it's difficult to start without any help and using construct without it is something i really won't like because without it construct would be just a point and click game creation kit, i know it is aimed towards beginners as they don't know coding but it's not that they shouldn't start coding anytime their life.... at some point of time they will have to......i think it's the part where game maker or other software win but apart from it construct is a great tool, but until construct has some ability of programming( i know its there but sort of directionless without any help and docs) i'll just wait and watch :)[/quote:7wze6zvq]

If you actually used construct (by your own admittance you said you haven't), you'd realize it's more than some point and click game creation kit, and the events IS scripting, it just lets you create it differently. Don't judge things before you even use them, or put them down as too simple for you when you can't (by your own admittance) even use things slightly more complex.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:50 am

[quote="Lost my Keys":2gowud5x][quote="abhilash2863":2gowud5x]i'd love to use python if there was some documentation for it...since i'm new to python it's difficult to start without any help and using construct without it is something i really won't like because without it construct would be just a point and click game creation kit, i know it is aimed towards beginners as they don't know coding but it's not that they shouldn't start coding anytime their life.... at some point of time they will have to......i think it's the part where game maker or other software win but apart from it construct is a great tool, but until construct has some ability of programming( i know its there but sort of directionless without any help and docs) i'll just wait and watch :)[/quote:2gowud5x]

If you actually used construct (by your own admittance you said you haven't), you'd realize it's more than some point and click game creation kit, and the events IS scripting, it just lets you create it differently. Don't judge things before you even use them, or put them down as too simple for you when you can't (by your own admittance) even use things slightly more complex.[/quote:2gowud5x]

sorry if that offends you, i didn't mean it to be offensive but i just meant that people are more attracted to tools that have BOTH point-click options and programming as well....and you were right about that i can't handle things that are complex...i was confused when i tried to make a breakout game in construct :oops:..... honestly saying i'm not a skilled programmer i'm just a novice and the programming language i know that is action script 2 is one of the easiest programming languages out there and is no match for python
i just wanted to say that the lack of help about scripting in construct was a downside of it

again sorry if that has offended you
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:25 am

[quote="abhilash2863":3eb67wpk][quote="Lost my Keys":3eb67wpk][quote="abhilash2863":3eb67wpk]i'd love to use python if there was some documentation for it...since i'm new to python it's difficult to start without any help and using construct without it is something i really won't like because without it construct would be just a point and click game creation kit, i know it is aimed towards beginners as they don't know coding but it's not that they shouldn't start coding anytime their life.... at some point of time they will have to......i think it's the part where game maker or other software win but apart from it construct is a great tool, but until construct has some ability of programming( i know its there but sort of directionless without any help and docs) i'll just wait and watch :)[/quote:3eb67wpk]

If you actually used construct (by your own admittance you said you haven't), you'd realize it's more than some point and click game creation kit, and the events IS scripting, it just lets you create it differently. Don't judge things before you even use them, or put them down as too simple for you when you can't (by your own admittance) even use things slightly more complex.[/quote:3eb67wpk]

sorry if that offends you, i didn't mean it to be offensive but i just meant that people are more attracted to tools that have BOTH point-click options and programming as well....and you were right about that i can't handle things that are complex...i was confused when i tried to make a breakout game in construct :oops:..... honestly saying i'm not a skilled programmer i'm just a novice and the programming language i know that is action script 2 is one of the easiest programming languages out there and is no match for python
i just wanted to say that the lack of help about scripting in construct was a downside of it

again sorry if that has offended you[/quote:3eb67wpk]

Thing is though you can do a heck of a lot with constructs events, to the point where you probably wouldn't even need to use python. They (events) might look simple on the surface, but all it is, is just a different way to view regular scripting. You should give them a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised at just what can be done with events.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:37 am

I am in the same boat as many of the people here on Python. Hearing that it doesn't work isn't going to encourage too many people to use it. I'd love to use it and I think it adds tremendous capability if supported well.

The other thing that I feel is misleading are those folks that say "Events can do everything that Python can do" or "it can do nearly everything Python can do". That isn't even close to the truth if Python was used to its full potential. A big reason to use Python that I see, is to support external libraries (not things like "import math"). For example, if you want AI for your game just re-use a python library. Or if you want an NPC to appear really intelligent use a Python library that uses advanced text processing. You can't compare these kinds of things to events. Of course, there are some things that you could use either Python or events for...

So, I've tried using Python before, but since it doesn't have good (any??) support for external libraries I haven't put much time into it. Also discouraging is I can't get an answer from the devs on Python support for external libraries. How is someone supposed to use something that has little to no documentation and little to no support? Sorry if I sound harsh.. but it was frustrating trying to do stuff with Python and just shooting in the dark.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:41 am

Python is David's feature, so I'm afraid I'm going to leave it up to him to sort this one out.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Well Diaz pointed out to me that external libraries are working. I went back and tried my old example that was not working and figured out that I was making a stupid mistake. Construct was all along importing the library.

So I am happy to say that Construct DOES support external libraries!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:33 pm

So wait... does that mean Construct can work with python libraries? Because that'd be too good to be true. Imagine using noise, AI and pathfinding libraries.

Nah, definitely too good to be true!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Does one have to copy the python libraries along with the .exe for end-users?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 pm

I probably should do some more testing before I declare that Construct supports external libraries. :)

The correct statement right now is that Construct supports running external libraries from .caps, which really doesn't mean much. I also did get it working with an .exe as well, but it is just on my development machine with Python and the Python module/library preinstalled. I also got an error message popup when executing the .exe so it is buggy, but still works.

[quote="Madster":1on3dbrf]Does one have to copy the python libraries along with the .exe for end-users?[/quote:1on3dbrf]

I unfortunately don't have my system with Virtual Machines to test this with. Here is what I believe you would have to do to make this work as it is right now:

1. Install Python 2.6.4 on end users system
2. Install Python library on end users system (this may be an install or copy depending on library)
3. Run the exe

This is obviously not practical if you have to install the entire 14mb Python on end users system, but right now there is no python26.dll being copied along with the exported .exe. That leads me to believe that without Python preinstalled the .exe wont work. We need something like the py2exe program for construct. I'll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion