Does anyone use C2 for web design?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:08 pm

?
B
S

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:19 pm

You can, but its not the best for seo. The content can't be seen by crawlers easily, although there are some things you can do to get them to read stuff.
Of course they really don't like people to do that.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Short answer: C2 is not intended for this, but programing by itself is "problem solution". You can make it but you'll lose a lot from doing so. I don't recomend C2 for this.

I actually used years ago, for a quick and dirty website that my company wanted to do. I could have done it in jquery with foundation zurb or other html framework, but since I had so little time to make(less than half a day), I picked my usb stick that I carried around with construct 2 and made it.

The big hits are that You'll have no way to track links for your otimizations, this of course means that as far as I'm concerned no search engine will be able to crawl the webpage.
Editing would also be no easy feat, since you have to export it everytime you change a little of the code.
You can't have CSS rules on any of the components(with some exceptions, you could also make construct read parameters from a file on the server, but since you'll be doing this, why even bother using C2? Jump straight to bootstrap or foundation's zurb.)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:12 pm

even without the SEO (search engine optimisation) problem, it is doable but not the best idea of the world, for a reason pretty similar to the fact that "flash powered websites" are never a good idea.

A website should be easy to edit, easy to read (html for the content, css for the appearence, javascript for client side interactions, C2 will use Javascript for all of that inside a canvas), light (the C2 runtime is not that heavy, but still), accessible (kind of the same as easy to read, but flash websites for exemple will not work without the flash player plugin, which is a limitation that is not needed really, C2 does not really have this issue thoug unless javascript is disabledh), take advantage of the full availiable space (letterbox scale will feel weird for a website).

Also doing a scrollbar, being sure to be able to use links correctly, having to wait for the initial loading of the website, all of those are issues that are not big sure, but may be bigger than just doing the website the intended way.

So I would recommand trying to go without C2.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks all for the clear answers. Do any of you have any easy web-design software that you recommend?
B
S

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Wordpress and a theme with a sitebuilder. Can't be easier than that and you can make it look really professional at the same time. Google wordpress suitebuilder and have fun :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:30 pm

@Anonnymitet said it. Wordpress would be your perfect companion.
But it is a complete solution. It will get you a complete website runing up in minutes. But you'll still have to mess with templates and stuff. For a newbie this can be overwhelming.

For software, I don't know... I personally don't like softwares getting in the way of my code. I generally do a rough sketch of what I want with gimp, photoshop, inkscape or whatever I have at the moment, and do all the codings(html, css, javascript) with notepad++ or geany following some best practices. It's more of a workflow than a software thing.
Never cared about dreamweaver. You can make some pre-built things but by the end of the day, you'll generally have to dive into the code, so I don't even botter using a dreamweaver-like solution.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 pm

I've been trying to make a website lately and hated Wordpress. It didn't allow me the customization I wanted, and I didn't want to have to try a thousand different themes to find one that was set up correctly. I am however new to Wordpress, and so possibly misunderstood how to use it.

Regardless, I recommend this: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com I just tried it and it's similar in feel to C2, has lots of great features, drag and drop placement, isn't too expensive, has a free demo and you can even incorporate a C2 game as an element of a page rather than using C2 for the entire page itself without too much difficulty.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:14 pm

In theory you could use C2 to make an app that can design a website.
It is just text after all.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm about to use it for my website, welcome screen (parallax scrolling page) but still working on it.
B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General