Does Appmobi & CocoonJS Deliver?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi all,
I am new to C2. Seems like an amazing 2D engine. I have dreams of publishing to iOS, Android, Windows phone 8 and Chrome / Google play Store. Yet, reading the forums on problems and bugs with appmobi and cocoonjs, seems like its a work in progress. I don't want to master this great game engine only to be confronted with publishing issues after paying for dev licenses. My only wish was that C2 could at least publish to iOS and Android with one-click from within the engine and i would willingly pay any extra for that. Please would some of you tell me i have no reasons to be cautious.
B
S

Post » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing some first-hand accounts as well, since I'd love to pursue this angle--huge market out there. I've read a lot mixed accounts of the experience and that concerns me. C2 is freakin amazing with web games, which is a great start.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 am

I was going to publish my final game using cocoonJS but the problem is splash screen is not customized yet, i had contact with @ludei but they will be late to reply :S
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:05 am

@Joannesalfa
Do you mean to say that Ludei inserts its own Splash into the build or just no splash? Is that part of the 'free' beta stipulations ?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:11 am

[QUOTE=FuguFirecracker] @Joannesalfa
Do you mean to say that Ludei inserts its own Splash into the build or just no splash? Is that part of the 'free' beta stipulations ?[/QUOTE]

You can't get rid of "Powered by CocoonJS" splash screen. I know it's a technology for developers, but the publishers won't allow this intro, we know the pricing is free until 2013, @Ludei hid a fact.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:32 am

That's strange. I had no problem getting my 'Powered by Unity' game in the apple app store.

Any part of the Ludei Terms of Service prohibit you from removing this?
Have you looked at decompilers to replace the offending screen?

There's APKTool http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/ for android.

iPhone is a might bit harder to break apart and put back together and one would need a Mac. If one were so inclined...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 am

I have 2 games published with CocoonJS and it works very well. The only thing I am hating about it right now is the need to use MoPub to serve ads. I wish it had native admob support, or one of the other bigger ad networks without the need to go through mopub.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

It would be nice to hear from some Appmobi users.
Not sure what CocoonJS will charge in the new year. Saw a demo video from Ludei on Youtube and noticed their rather large splash screen and logo. Seems too invasive and they should allow developers to remove it easily. If that's not the case, then i might opt for Appmobi instead. Appmobi also replied to my messages very promptly - always a good sign that they actually care. Sadly Ludei did not!!
I am still on the wall as to whether i'm gonna go with C2 or Stencyl. I might use both actually. Stencyl does offer universal apps for iOS which is a big winner for me. But i prefer C2's interface and methodology.
Thanks for your replies guys!

B
S

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Hey mister k, Ken here from appMobi. I just wanted to chime in on a couple points.

[QUOTE=mister k] Hi all,
I am new to C2. Seems like an amazing 2D engine. I have dreams of publishing to iOS, Android, Windows phone 8 and Chrome / Google play Store. [/QUOTE]
You are totally able to do this today no matter what service you go with. The different services let you build for different stores so you will have to make sure the service you select allows you to build and deploy to the stores you want. Here at appMobi you can build for iOS, Android, Amazon, Nook, Win8, Chrome, Facebook. I worked on a game that is deployed to all of these (except win8 as it was not in existence when we built the game).

[QUOTE=mister k] Yet, reading the forums on problems and bugs with appmobi and cocoonjs, seems like its a work in progress. I don't want to master this great game engine only to be confronted with publishing issues after paying for dev licenses.[/QUOTE]
I'm willing to bet any service will continue to be a "work in progress" as the industry changes so rapidly. What it was 6mo ago is not what it is today. So any service will continue to evolve, improve and continue to be a work in progress. My advice is to stay away from the ones that aren't :)

As for publishing issue, with any rapidly evolving technology there will be bugs that crop up. However I think you will find that the support is there and they are usually resolved fairly rapidly.

The biggest thing you can do as a developer regardless of what build service you use is to design the game with mobile in mind and don't assume you can just port a desktop browser game into a high performance mobile game. For instance, you have to be a bit more conscience about the size of your image and sound files and not load up your game with 200 large sprites and 75 different sound effect files.

[QUOTE=mister k]Please would some of you tell me i have no reasons to be cautious.[/QUOTE]
My personal opinion is you don't have anything to be cautious about, just be mindful of the differences between desktop and mobile and START SMALL. Don't jump in and expect to make the next super involved mega game. Heck even if it's a breakout clone. This way you will learn the technologies, find any hurdles and if you run into bugs report them. We're here and listening :) And if you do go the appMobi route and ever need any help. Just PM or email me ken@appmobi.com. I'm more then happy to help.

B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Many thanks Tap for clarifying a few worries of mine.
I really like the options of being able to publish to OS, Android, Amazon, Nook, Win8, Chrome, Facebook. I have no delusions about becoming the next Rovio or Supercell - i wish! But if i'm having to pay $99 for iOS, Android, Windows dev licenses, i want to be sure that i can actually get the game up and running. The ability to test on emulators is a big plus for me. I am a little confused about Appmobi's MAU pricing structure.
So far, Appmobi is the quicker to respond to questions and annoying beginner's worries <me> so thanks for stopping by.
Appreciated!

B
S

Next

Return to Construct 2 General