Does Appmobi & CocoonJS Deliver?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 am

[QUOTE=mister k] But if i'm having to pay $99 for iOS, Android, Windows dev licenses, i want to be sure that i can actually get the game up and running. The ability to test on emulators is a big plus for me.
[/QUOTE] I absolutely understand and agree. That is why we have both the XDK emulator which is good for things like making sure the game fits the device properly and testing out the appMobi JS api. Then we have appLab which will let you test your game on any device. And as long as you have the latest version of appLab you can be sure that how your game runs there will be how it runs after you build it. So if it runs smoothly when testing in appLab it will run smoothly when built. If it's slow, then there's some optimization that is needed.

[QUOTE=mister k]
I am a little confused about Appmobi's MAU pricing structure.
[/QUOTE]
I will try and help. A MAU is a monthly active user. So if 1 user plays your game 50 times. That is still 1 mau. The first 10,000 mau's are free. Once your app exceeds 10,000 mau's appmobi charges the LESSER of $0.10 per mau or 50%.

Example: (keeping the number simple)

You're app has 10,100 maus (100 over the free 10,000) and it's making $20 a month. The app is making $0.20/mau so appMobi gets $0.10/mau. (50%)

Now, let's say your app still has 10,100 maus and is making $100 a month. The app is making $1/mau. appMobi still only takes $0.10/mau (10%).

Finally let's say your app still has 10,100 maus and is making $10 a month. That's $0.10/mau, appMobi only takes $0.05/mau (50%)

Did that help at all?? :)

[QUOTE=mister k]
So far, Appmobi is the quicker to respond to questions and annoying beginner's worries <me> so thanks for stopping by.
Appreciated![/QUOTE]
Not annoying at all. I enjoy helping out.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:24 am

I wish DirectCanvas needs a serious update that could run better than before.

I have a lot of projects.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:45 am

@Joannesalfa - I can not confirm nor deny that an update to DirectCanvas is coming. :) As for the issue you are experiencing in the game you sent me, I will be working with our lead DC developer this week to hopefully get it resolved for you.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:15 am

I just want to mention that my game which was running on my old iPhone 4 as 1-2fps got a huge jump to 3-35 fps with CocoonJS
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:00 am

My biggest issue with CocoonJS is the huge ugly splash that shows right after mine. This breaks the whole meaning of having my splash in there. They should just use that simple grey logo that they have as a template.

It's like showing some pictures of cute babies and then a nuclear explosion and assume that people are still on the same happy mood and not confused when we get back to those babies.

Currently I can't publish with CocoonJS because I can't have adds in my games or remove that splash. I have send them a request for a premium account but they don't seem to reply to it in any ways.

In 2013 they will charge something like 250$/month for a serious project.

So with the current support I can't recommend CocoonJS for anyone who want's to publish a serious project on mobile devices.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:13 pm

[QUOTE=nemo]
In 2013 they will charge something like 250$/month for a serious project.
[/QUOTE]

$250 ? per month ? seriously ?

Time like this I wish again and again that Construct 2 doesn't have to rely so much on 3rd party software to do its exporter.

While the progress of C2 itself is really fast (new feature & bug fix almost every 2 weeks), 3rd party exporter seems to take their own sweet time (which understandably because they have their own priority).

Look at how many times Ashley said to get in touch with Appmobi / Ludei / Awesomium team because a certain feature isn't yet implemented / not working correctly.

Also don't forget that each exporter will have their own pricing,
which probably in some kind of monthly/annually subscription plan instead of a one time pricing like Construct 2.

oh well... let's just wait another year and hope things will change for the better for us
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:28 pm

@nemo - where did you hear that? I don't believe Ludei have made any specific announcement yet, so I wouldn't speculate like that without a source.

@tap - there are still bugs in DC that prevent even the stock Space Blaster demo displaying correctly. I think I emailed appMobi about it recently, are you going to update soon?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

I went and searched, haven't found any proof or announcement regarding this $250/month claim.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

@Ashley
I went to Ludei's page and ended up into this pricing page, and there was a list of licences. Forget that 250$/month, cause now that I checked my notes, I think 98$/month was the cheapest to remove the splash and get some online stuff. I think it was exactly the same as iOS Developer cost/year.

They also did have a free licence.

Now I can't see the list anymore, it seems to be behind the "Free until 2013" Before pricing was listed under that message.

Now I'm not so sure I was supposed to see it.

That means that the pricing may change.
nemo2012-12-09 19:38:07
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 am

$98 a month is pretty extreme too IMO. Unless you meant per year? I think my next game I am going to try hard to go with AppMobi and see how it pans out. Maybe we can even get native admob support working with a plugin in appmobi :).
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General