Does Appmobi & CocoonJS Deliver?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am

Stencyl offers pro $ 79 per year and iOS 149 per year.

If CocoonJS setup 250 per month is a totally steep, big crisis for independent developers
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 am

250 is an impossible price for any developer, anywhere. You'd be better off buying a development engine for each system, or buying something like GameMaker Studio with all the plugins and send Ludei on their way.

I'm not sure that is even an acceptable pricing, unless there would be an mighty impressive service behind.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 pm

@Ashely - I know that issue is logged in our issue tracking system. I'm not sure as to the exact time frame but the DC team is aware and will work resolve it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Many thanks Tap at Appmobi for clarify the MAU pricing. Eureka! I finally get it. That's pretty cool and the applab sounds awesome - no need to buy every mobile device before publishing.
Hey Nemo, i agree about the cocoon JS splash screen. It's ridiculous and a bad decision on their part. Far too invasive. A small logo would be better. Considering the very favourable pricing for C2 and other engines like Stencyl, it's a joke if third-party service providers try and exploit the large wannabe game developer base - like roofers putting their rates up in winter! Anyway, i've made up my mind. I'll be going with Appmobi when ready to publish.
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 am

I tried thoroughly both solutions (for iOS), and in the end I decided to go with PhoneGap, as painful as it sounds.

Sadly both appmobi and cocoonjs doesn't support vital features of iOS (GameCenter, iAds and iAP) which can make a real difference in sales. As far as my experience goes, both solutions are good for amateurish games, if you want to package something vaguely professional you need to have the whole DOM at your fingertips and access to native features. Not even considering that with both of them you'll be battling with missing features or not working plugins (like spritefonts which are pretty vital). Also cocoonjs and appmobi are closed source and services depending on external infrastructure that may not exists in the future.

While both of them give a great performance boost they are not even remotely close to native performance which is a thing that has to be considered, if you want complete freedom you need to go native (or Stencyl).

This will be the last game I'll do with construct2 for mobile, I'm sorry but the technology isn't there by a long shot. Win8 is great, desktop is great but mobile lacks too many features and neither of those solutions are enough to cover the technology hole, that until WebGL gets integrated into webviews.
I say this because the time I lost testing those platform, optimizing the code I could've done a way better game with another engine, think about what you are doing really really carefully to avoid investing time and resources only to see an unplayable mess as a result.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 am

@0plus1

CocoonJS isn't ready to use production until 2013, its features are:

Ad network integration. There are multiple services that allows integration with some of the main ad networks in both iOS and Android platforms to show banner, interstitial and video ads.

In App Purchases (IAP). There are services for both iOS and Android IAP support.

Analytics. Cocoon supports app tracking via third party SDKs or even server to server management.

Multiplayer infrastructure. We already have both GameCenter support for iOS devices and our own backend infrastructure.

Online resource update. Our applications can update their resources (images, sounds, texts, configuration files) online without having to create a new app version.

Access to device hardware specific features like the camera and the GPS.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 am

@Joannesalfa

I guess I'll take a second look, still those technologies doesn't convince me, they are too tied and restrictive, and last time I checked iAP where a different service, not the native ones.
I'll take a look at it for the next game, meanwhile thanks, I was some month behind me thinks..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 am

[QUOTE=0plus1] @Joannesalfa

I guess I'll take a second look, still those technologies doesn't convince me, they are too tied and restrictive, and last time I checked iAP where a different service, not the native ones.
I'll take a look at it for the next game, meanwhile thanks, I was some month behind me thinks..[/QUOTE]

@0plus1 where did you check iAP? i'm premium member of CocoonJS cloud and i couldn't find where to link Product ID. Joannesalfa2012-12-12 01:06:09
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 am

[QUOTE=0plus1]While both of them give a great performance boost they are not even remotely close to native performance which is a thing that has to be considered, if you want complete freedom you need to go native (or Stencyl).[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. I've only tested CocoonJS but the performance increase was next to nothing. I was expecting native performance but got basically the same performance I get in Safari on an iPad.

I'm going to give appMobi a try tomorrow, hopefully... but from the sound of it, I shouldn't be expecting much improvement there either.

It's really disappointing that Construct 2 doesn't have a way to just export natively to mobile devices. I know HTML5 is "the future" but right now it's pretty terrible for mobile platforms. I don't see Apple allowing webGL ever, as it would directly affect their own app sales, since people could just circumvent the app store and host their own games without Apple getting it's 30% cut.

So basically unless some miracle occurs, don't expect to release heavy HTML5 games to any iOS device because they just won't run at playable speeds. Without hardware acceleration, games have to be pretty simple and light.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 am

Will CocoonJS will be out of beta on Jan 2013 and available for everyone to use all the features, do we have any dates ? i am hoping at least during that time we can get some decent support , right now it seems they are purposely not supporting certain features like simple AJAX , XML , etc and don't want to give away a lot free.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General