Does Appmobi & CocoonJS Deliver?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I am glad to see Ludei aka JMO make an appearance. I await the pricing for 2013 and will be willing to see what's on offer. I do hope it's a model like Appmobi with a 'pay as you earn' tariff. That would really help hobbyists and indie devs who don't earn a dime - yet!
Thanks JMO and co for your feedback.
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 am

I've been testing my first game with CocoonJS and Android. The results are fantastic, and the entire process is very intuitive.

Unfortunately, they do not currently support keyboard input on touch screen devices. I'm creating a custom interface that is part of my game, but won't be able to use the external inputs yet.

This is probably on their list, but I'm not sure how far out it is.
B
S

Post » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:35 am

For anyone wondering about the effects of screencanvas rendering in the latest update: I've noticed an all-round boost in frame rate on iOS via CocoonJS. In my game, there's a significant increase during cut scenes (essentially 3-5 large sprites being panned slowly) - the scenes have gone from ~30FPS to ~42FPS. However, the increase is negligible during gameplay (10-15 sprites, basic physics, GUI overlay) - the scene has gone from ~28FPS to ~30FPS.

This means that the change probably won't make a previously unplayable game playable, but it might help make for a smoother experience.
B
S

Post » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:30 am

[QUOTE=SketchyLogic] For anyone wondering about the effects of screencanvas rendering in the latest update: I've noticed an all-round boost in frame rate on iOS via CocoonJS. In my game, there's a significant increase during cut scenes (essentially 3-5 large sprites being panned slowly) - the scenes have gone from ~30FPS to ~42FPS. However, the increase is negligible during gameplay (10-15 sprites, basic physics, GUI overlay) - the scene has gone from ~28FPS to ~30FPS.

This means that the change probably won't make a previously unplayable game playable, but it might help make for a smoother experience.[/QUOTE]

Screencanvas improves rendering speed for sure but it depends on many things: The device graphics hardware and driver, the application rendering pipeline, etc.

About keyboard support, CocoonJS provides a text input dialog for basic text input (checkout our extension file CocoonJS_App.js for the TextDialog related functions and also our TextInput demo at http://storage.cocoonjsservice.ludei.com/demos/cjs3801793643225403841keyboard.zip). I guess you are talking about external keyboard/device support. Adding such a feature is not in our short term roadmap unfortunately.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:43 pm

@ludei

With no Ajax and no Keybaord input I have no choice but to use Phonegap for my game on the Ouya.

I only hope you add these features if and when the Ouya becomes popular. Until then I'll just work on making custom Phonegap plugins that optimize Construct 2 games.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 pm

For turn based strategy game with snes graphics and minimalistic animations, which one would you recommend performance wise? (including sounds)megatronx2013-01-18 18:04:41
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi, I'm a new developer who wants to start making games, for mobile devices (Android). And I just wonder. Since I've got the free version of C2 I can't make any mobile games (Appmobi), but is it possible to first make your game (non-specific, just "new game") and then, when the game is done, be able to just buy a licence and "add" the Appmobi "settings"?

Or do I need to buy a licence from the beggining when starting making the game?
B

Post » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Yes you could do so by exporting to CocoonJS or AppMobi, but i would advise to stay away from AppMobi (lots of bugs and their support sucks ) , your best bet is CoocoonJS , they are suppose to come out with a new release this weeks with lots of new features and performance improvements, finally HTML5 games on mobile is coming to a reality :)tringio2013-02-04 22:12:29
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:06 pm

[QUOTE=tringio] Yes you could do so by exporting to CocoonJS or AppMobi, but i would advise to stay away from AppMobi (lots of bugs and their support sucks ) , your best bet is CoocoonJS , they are suppose to come out with a new release this weeks with lots of new features and performance improvements, finally HTML5 games on mobile is coming to a reality :)[/QUOTE]

I think it depends more on the individual. I received fairly quick responses from AppMobi, but absolutely nothing back from CocoonJS.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm

id highly recommend CocoonJS as its compatability is near perfect with the latest update. FPS has risen dramatically this year for many of my test games. Only issues right are some of the extensions that are being worked one. Once those are done it should be fine.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General