Does C2 require no programming?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:32 am

Here's another example without any condition. Move the sprite with the arrow keys:
link.

You can't say now programing would be more easy.zyblade2013-06-09 08:34:42
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 am

C2 doesn't require you to "write" code. You are however still programming. Just in a different way. You're still creating an order of events and actions. It's still programming.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/program

Even though you are not writing code in C2, you can still get a lot of benefit from implementing some of the condition expressions. Also zyblade is correct a mathematical expression presented is not programming. That's just mathematics language.

This is algebra
X = Self.X + Self.speed * dt

this if code
if(self.x != 0){ return self.x + self.speed * dt }

:D

B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 am

Thank for this!

I need make motion without acceleration, what should I edit? Unfortunately it's not obvious for me.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks Jay for clearing that up :D.

@Dimakoles: If you want to move instant, just change acc and dec to 5000^^. There might be another way, but this is one of them^^. Just don't put Max Speed too high, 200-500 should be fine, experiment with it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 am

[QUOTE=jayderyu] That's just mathematics language.
This is algebra
X = Self.X + Self.speed * dt
this if code
if(self.x != 0){ return self.x + self.speed * dt }
[/QUOTE] This is not algebra because algebra does not know about expression "Self."dimakoles2013-06-09 08:51:18
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am

To answser the question of whether or not programming knowledge is required to use C2. You have first to define what programming is.
If, to you programming is the sum of some obscure syntax and some mathematical formula. I'd say you've got a narrow view of it.

If you define programming as "a way to tell the computer what to do", then everything you do in your event sheet, is actually, a form of programming.

And once you learn more common way to program (C, Java, Javascript,...), you will notice that you're just doing exactly the same thing. In programming you have condition, you can make the computer do things (actions) and you definitely use some expression. You can also use loops and function.

In my opinion (and that's only mine), I don't think that "no programming knowledge required" is really true. I would rather say "no scripting knowledge required" and also "a really fast programming learning curve".

Because using Construct2, you have under the hood some boilerplate code in the form of the C2 engine itself, some plugins and behaviors that allows you to directly start with the most interesting part: making things move on screen using some inputs.

If you were to code a game in raw javascript from scratch, and I did, you would have to handle asset loading, collision polygon creation, some way to create levels, and also be careful about browser compatibility and performance.
Using Construct2, you can just (almost) ignore everything, and get started.

And because you can directly see results, you learn some programming concepts very fast. Those who learnt programming the hard way had to write awefully boring programs with assignements like:
"write an isLeapYear function to find if a year is a leap year" or "model a shopping cart" or "write a sorting function to sort numbers in an array" etc.
Some find that interesting (and I did), but seriously... Learning programming while making your own game is so much more motivating.

So in conclusion, to me, C2 is programming made accessible for every beginners.
Yann2013-06-09 08:49:21
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am

[QUOTE=zyblade] @Dimakoles: If you want to move instant, just change acc and dec to 5000^^. There might be another way, but this is one of them^^. Just don't put Max Speed too high, 200-500 should be fine, experiment with it.[/QUOTE] You want to say that if I want to make acceleration equals to 0 I should change it to 5000?

That's really very intuitive and simple :-)dimakoles2013-06-09 08:49:05
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:56 am

I totally agree to yann's post. Just wasn't able to express myself in that detail. With "no programing" I mean "no syntax". And as Yann said, learning while making a game makes C2 so viable for me and many other ppl.

When you put acc to 0, the sprite will accelereted with 0px/second.
Putting it to 5000 and there is no visible progres of acceleration, cause it's instanly at its max speed. :Pzyblade2013-06-09 08:57:00
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:00 am

[QUOTE=zyblade]Putting it to 5000 and there is no visible progres of acceleration, cause it's instanly at its max speed. :P[/QUOTE] I mean I expect velocity instead of acceleration
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 am

Hm, so what do you want to make exactly? Anything else where we can help?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General