Donkey Kong Country Revisted (Fangame)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm

As a fan of the DKC series since they first came out, as a child I always wanted to create my own version of the game. Same gameplay but my own worlds/levels/bosses etc. I used to make huge books with level plans and game ideas since the age of 11.

It wasn't until much later, when I was 16 back in 2002, that I decided to program my own DK engine from scratch using Visual Basic 6. So no assistance from game-making engines like MMF2 or Construct etc but just purely coded from scratch. Some 1000 sprite frames, 5000 lines of code, and a month later, things got really messy and unmanageable and I realised that I had stepped into something I couldn't practically complete. The result, although glitchy and a way off the gameplay mechanics of the original, was still pretty impressive to me at the time.

Anyway, many years later I started playing all the DKC series again on SNES and got my hands on those childhood books again. Stumbled upon this site and decided to give the whole make-your-own-DKC-clone another go, this time I feel lazy so instead of programming it from the ground up, I'm using Construct Classic. What I want is to finally realise my childhood vision.

Updated 2012-11-14
[TUBE]YSF5wnAQwbA[/TUBE]

Thanks for reading/watching! Please share your thoughts...!djsubtronic2012-11-14 22:24:56
B

Post » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Nice engine, very similar to the original! I can't wait to play this.

Are you going to use some 3D program to make new enemies and stuff?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 am

Thanks Ciro.

I have no idea how to make sprites/use 3D software. So for now the idea is just to re-use existing enemies and collectibles, but I will be incorporating stuff from all three games to make up for the lack of new stuff.
B

Post » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Looks like a great start. Was the first game my brother got for his SNES when we were kids, I have fond memories of this series.

I would hope to see some new enemies and stages and bosses though... Have you considered posting in the Help Wanted section to find someone to help with making new sprites?
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

Thanks. I will do my best to be creative with bosses and level backgrounds, but I dunno about enemy sprites. I have looked on a DKC fansite forum and there are a lot of talented sprite artists there, but in terms of creating a new enemy from scratch, I fear it won't look consistent with the rest of the enemies and will ruin the overall effect. To somewhat make up for lack of new enemies I plan to incorporate a mixture of enemies from all three games.

I've updated the video in the OP with my latest progress.
B

Post » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Nice, but the implication that using Construct = lazy, is way off base.

What people tend to not realize is that programming with event-based systems can be as simple or complex as you make them. I've seen people create event code/expression combinations with these systems that are so complex that it would've been easier to do the exact same thing in a programming language, yet you have to admire the person's willingness to take the program to another level.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 pm

[QUOTE=MrMiller] Nice, but the implication that using Construct = lazy, is way off base.

What people tend to not realize is that programming with event-based systems can be as simple or complex as you make them. I've seen people create event code/expression combinations with these systems that are so complex that it would've been easier to do the exact same thing in a programming language, yet you have to admire the person's willingness to take the program to another level.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree that there are various events/conditions that can end up being very complex, and there are several just like that in my game that would be much simpler in code. But by lazy, I just meant that not programming from scratch means I don't have to manage 1000s of individual PNG images or code 2D physics, control frames, animations and timings, and manage DirectX objects or API calls all manually. I can safely say Construct saved me a lot of time and effort, and without it I probably wouldn't even have bothered with a re-attempt at making the game from scratch.djsubtronic2012-11-06 16:56:59
B

Post » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 pm

OP updated with new video.
B

Post » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Really nice, man! This video you posted is made with Constructor or is the first version?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Great trailer :)
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations