Download Construct 2 release 28.2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:34 pm

[size=150:3s7999dx]Download Construct 2 public preview 28.2[/size:3s7999dx]
[size=85:3s7999dx]Link to release 28[/size:3s7999dx]

Basically patches up everything that went wrong with r28, and a new update checker. The update checker checks at most once every 24 hours and doesn't block the UI thread, so it shouldn't hold up the UI becoming available like it did in 0.x. It's also got a special message if there's an update available the first time you run Construct 2, because the majority of 0.x downloads were out of date builds (presumably download sites hosting old builds).

I've also made some more shotgun changes that might fix the crash-on-close I can't reproduce - I remember in private testing dealing with a crash certain drivers had when opening the layout editor, so I've made an attempted fix along those same lines but for when the layout editor is closed. Let me know if it had any luck...

[size=150:3s7999dx]Changelog[/size:3s7999dx]
- [ADD] Simple update checker. Checks for an update once a day and gives you the option to go to the download page when an update is available.
- [ADD] Plugin developers: you can switch off script caching so your scripts are reloaded every time you preview, making plugin development faster. To do this, open regedit, and create the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Scirra\Construct2\html5 - then add a new DWORD value 'devmode' (without quotes) and set its value to 1. Script caching is now off.
- [ADD] System expression 'lerp'
- [FIX] r28 broke collisions - fixed again for this build
- [FIX] Assigning NaN to a Sprite's angle has no effect
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:00 pm

First post, Nice.
I am going to try it now.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Editing registry keys to switch between dev mode and non dev mode seems a bit... long winded. Can't we have a button? Also would probably be a good idea to print something on the canvas like "DEV MODE" in bottom right in red small or something to stop people accidently exporting non cacheable JS's.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 pm

You only ever need to set the key once, and it doesn't affect the functionality or caching in the browser at all - just when Construct 2 decides to copy some files. I think a reg key is OK, because some ordinary users will inevitably idly click a button if it's in the UI, and all it does then is reduce performance.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

So is Nan going to be a regular return value?
I mean except for when you don't try to divide by zero. :oops:
Probably a better way to go any ways.

I know there were a few issues where the e^ would get cut off in debugging when it went into scientific notation.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Hey Ash can you add picking for instance variable and families to the next build.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 pm

When the use check "Enable developper mode" in dialog 1:

he is shown the dialog 2:

The message is clear and does not give any clue about what the option does, instead it says only that you should enable that option if you know why ! It put the emphases on the bad aspects of it and not the good ones.
It's made to be sure that you don't enable it unless you really want to try it.

Each time Construct is launched, a nag screen is shown showing some options :

It forces the "developper" to click on the third option.

Doing that, we can be sure that users who do not use this feature turn it off after a while. Unlesse they like nag screens !

The key in the registry can contains 3 values :
DISABLED (0)
DISABLED_ONCE (1)
ENABLED (2)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Sorry Still Crashes on Close. Hopefully this will be resolved soon...
B
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

No crash for me so far. (Vista 32bit)

Looking more awesome each day. Now, for what I would love to see next... global variables and global objects. Colour filter would be great too.

Being no real programmer myself I have no idea what features would make most sense to add next, but these would be useful for me at least :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm using windows vista home premium 32 bit and I get a crash on close when a game is loaded capx and when I choose close project from the menu.
B
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General