Download Construct 2 release 31

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

[quote="DravenX":xcs28vr7]Hold on isn't CS2 still in Alpha form.Beta usually means that most of the program's functionality is there.[/quote:xcs28vr7]

That is true, but here the time renews with a new release, so kind of different.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:24 pm

[quote="buddy40":1vndrmcf]Good release, still awaiting Animations, etc.[/quote:1vndrmcf]
:D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:30 pm

On another note, will testers be able to sell games made with the most current release? If so, you're going to have a lot of testers and very few sold licenses; your releases are usually too solid to accrue any sort risk that would outweigh saving some cash.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:37 pm

The Alpha license will allow you to sell commercial games yes under the terms of the 'Discount license'. Without being an Alpha Tester though, you are limited by the terms of the 'Free License'. More details here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8722

This is all subject to change though. It will be made very clear and written up in full before we start selling Alpha licenses though.

Please note, the Alpha license is really not for everybody. You may prefer to wait for a fully stable build before buying a license.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Since you're working on movement actions, would it be possible to add bezier movements, which could be run in a queue?

So in 1 event line you could have a sequence of movements one after the other giving you the ability to easily script movement patterns.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:36 pm

[quote="Mulkaccino":hy6741mr]On another note, will testers be able to sell games made with the most current release?[/quote:hy6741mr]
I think the test builds should not be for commercial use - testing purposes only. I think it's fair if you sell a game, you buy a license first.

[quote="Ethan":hy6741mr]Since you're working on movement actions, would it be possible to add bezier movements, which could be run in a queue?[/quote:hy6741mr]
That's probably something for a behaviour to do - these are super-basic primitives that are very often useful for a wide array of uses.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:07 pm

[quote="Mr Wolf":3purwi0x]
So you guess it's okay? Something feels completely wrong with this. What testers are doing for you does a lot more for you than it does for them. They mess around with an unfinished product, while it helps you make money. [/quote:3purwi0x]

I could not agree more and am getting a very bad feeling about Construct 2. I have no problem with buying finished software and was think this might be one worth purchasing, but some things are starting to feel very controlled:
Like yearly licensing, alpha timed releases, and pay schedules for alpha versions (not even beta).

With so may free finished languages out there I am afraid all this talk will scare away the base that is already formed.

Even so pricing seems high at this early stage, There is a lot of bashing here about Game Maker, but they make a lot of money. $25 per version and free updates as quite attractive.

I would sincerely look at your business model again. But with all this talk about pay to test I am thinking about dropping back to C1 and other game creation software.

Best of luck with your endveor on C2!

[quote="Ashley":3purwi0x]
I think the test builds should not be for commercial use - testing purposes only. I think it's fair if you sell a game, you buy a license first.[/quote:3purwi0x]

I totally agree!
But you need to respect the testers too. Charging at this point makes Construct2 look greedy. Especially for non commercial projects. Many of us will never sell a single program we make then for fun.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

The alpha early-adopter licenses are marked down considerably to reflect the fact it's an early stage. Also, I repeat the point: assuming we release regularly enough, which we plan on doing, testers get to use the fully-featured software indefinitely for free. What more can we do? Should we pay them to test it for us when we have no money?? I can't see what more we could offer or do for our users. Obviously the transition to free + open source to closed and licensed is a painful one. But I think we've gone out of our way to offer good deals despite this. Can you describe what's unfair about the deal so far and what would be a fairer deal?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Not sure if its doable, since the html5 exporter is already available, but a "blank" exporter that didn't actually export anything would solve the tester issues.
Basically preview only test builds.

Might get that exe exporter a jump start as well. :P
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:06 pm

It's too hard to make a preview only HTML5 test build because it needs to run in your web browser, and anyone can just view the source.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General