Download Construct 2 release 31

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Tom's right, you should be comparing to the indie license. Also, Game Maker is a scripting based tool, so you need to learn a programming language to use it. Construct is an event based tool that does not require you to learn to program to use it, so the barrier to entry is lower. People who already know how to program are probably happy to stick to programming - we're aiming Construct at people who don't know how to program, which is why events are useful. However, it's much faster than programming, so some programmers might like it anyway (which is true of our experience from 0.x).

So why worry about Game Maker? If you want to program, there are tonnes of alternatives out there, and you can even program a HTML5 game for free in notepad providing you know javascript, the correct APIs and so on - but it will take a lot longer and require a lot more expertise! We're not expecting hordes of Game Makers to jump ship either, because most of them are very familiar with the GML scripting system which is how they make their games, and there's no equivalent in Construct 2.

This is probably also a large factor for new customers. Are you really going to choose Game Maker over Construct 2 solely because of the price, and ignore the fact you have to get in to programming to do anything useful with it? They're actually completely different products with totally different features and methods of working. You should bear this in mind when making comparisons.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:59 pm

I have to agree with Ashley on that one.I have been programming for 10 years now and Construct was the 1st app that really stands out of the crowd when it comes to a user friendly app.And game Maker is actually an app you use for when you want to learn how to program.

Some people i know say that it's "cheating" when i use D&D,But hey you know what , i'm an indie Gamer so that is not even an issue.Even Big games companies use "in house" D&D to create their games.

So paying more for an app that truly is better and more advanced than it's competitor seems only logical.Unless you got 50 grand laying around somewhere to buy a ps3 or xbox360 dev kit.Think about it ,$599.00 for a 10 YEAR licence is a drop in the bucket compared to what you have to pay to go pro.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Game Maker is more of a competitor than you're giving it credit for. It makes programming tons easier than just popping open notepad, and helps you to move to more advanced languages down the road.

Also, I made no commentary on the price beyond demonstrating the difference for the highest options of both. No need really for two walls of text over that. I'm not trying to mislead anyone and I even stated it wouldn't be an issue for most.

Anyways, I have little else to say, because I thought I expressed well enough in my last post what I was talking about, and yet apparently not.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I laughed at that picture! :)

Yes I see your point, but comparing the highest options of both is quite inaccurate as it's not taking everything into account. I just wanted to clear it up incase anyone was reading the forum was confused, as there does seem to still be a lot of confusion around this which we hope to clear up soon.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:44 pm

You all seem to be forgetting multimedia fusion 2, they already have flash exporters, and are finishing the html5 and iOS one (which will almost certainly already be available by the time c2 is released).
The interface is very similar, mmf2 is way better supported, with a huge community and tons of extensions, more exporters and has matured very well along the years, to the point that it's 99% bug-free now.

What will make construct 2 a viable alternative, let alone a superior product ?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 pm

@MikeD : Yes i have mmf2 dev and it's absolutely fantastic.But CS2 is in it's infancy stage so comparing any other games app would be kinda unfair at this stage don't you think.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Why does anyone choose Windows over Linux when they pretty much do the same thing and Linux is free? There are a lot of factors that go in to what software people choose. It's not just about certain features, or the price, or the UI. It's the whole thing, right down to the details.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:27 pm

[quote="DravenX":1jqq7i4l]@MikeD : Yes i have mmf2 dev and it's absolutely fantastic.But CS2 is in it's infancy stage so comparing any other games app would be kinda unfair at this stage don't you think.[/quote:1jqq7i4l]

I am not comparing mmf2 with what construct 2 is right now, I'm comparing it with what I imagine construct 2 will be once it reaches 1.0, perfectly stable and with all the announced features in.

[quote:1jqq7i4l]Why does anyone choose Windows over Linux when they pretty much do the same thing and Linux is free? There are a lot of factors that go in to what software people choose. It's not just about certain features, or the price, or the UI. It's the whole thing, right down to the details.[/quote:1jqq7i4l]

Because with linux you can only run a tiny portion of the programs and games windows can, and windows comes bundled with most computers, among other smaller reasons.
Those aren't details, they are the difference between a customer choosing one product over another, and that's what construct 2 seem to lack.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 pm

[quote="MikeD":174rflmw]You all seem to be forgetting multimedia fusion 2, they already have flash exporters, and are finishing the html5 and iOS one (which will almost certainly already be available by the time c2 is released).
The interface is very similar, mmf2 is way better supported, with a huge community and tons of extensions, more exporters and has matured very well along the years, to the point that it's 99% bug-free now.[/quote:174rflmw]

As someone who's used Clickteam software for years, all I have to say is...

Whoopdie freakin' doo. I still prefer Construct :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes me too, because it's free. But I wouldn't spend more money in a similar program because of a couple of improvements.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General