Download Object

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:56 am

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to figure out how I could basically timebomb a game - which means that I could limit the time a person could play a construct game - for beta tests and stuff. So we could hand out games as beta that would stop working a month or two later.

My first guess was that this could work through the download object - just put up a simple text file that the game downloads at the start of the application, if it finds it the game works - if it doesn't, it'll show a message that the beta is over.

Problem is that the download object doesn't really seem to do anything or I'm setting it up wrong - basically my events are:

At Layout Start - Download file "blabla" into folder "blabla"
If Download failed - Close application

Doesn't seem to work though. It doesn't download the file and it doesn't close the application at all.

If anyone knows a clever way to do this, I'd be happy to hear it!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 am

You need to specify a name for the file to download into. So for example, if you wanted to download your avatar to the harddrive as "avatar.png", your "Download to file" action would look something like this:

URL: "http://www.thomasmahler.com/images/avatar_heavy.png"

Local file: "C:/avatar.png"

I hope this helps. :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:29 am

Fuck yeah, that works! I thought it's just about defining the folder.

Thanks! :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 am

Just to ask, wouldn't this be a bad idea for people that don't have internet 24h. Like Dial-Up or people with Capacity Limit (Like 5GB per month). It always has to download the file from the internet and if it's not working or the internet dies for maybe some hours, you can't play the game.

I thought maybe to do like looking at the date & time of the pc and see how much difference is from the actual release and now. If it's too big, it closes the app or says it's expired. Just the problem would be, you could bypass this by setting the date back and presto, it's working again. :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 am

Or if your server goes down, everyones copies of the game start disabling. If it's just for a beta run though, it doesn't matter too much, people will put up with that (paying customers won't).

Also, you might want to pick a better download destination... you might be refused write access to C:\ - or even the application's own directory - in Vista/7. Might be best to go for a temp folder.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Just remember there will be someone who is able to hack your beta. It won't be hack-proof.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

[quote="Ashley":38i6i235]Or if your server goes down, everyones copies of the game start disabling. If it's just for a beta run though, it doesn't matter too much, people will put up with that (paying customers won't).
[/quote:38i6i235]

I'm paying my provider for making sure that the server pretty much never goes down (and I haven't experienced anything like that over the last two years).

I don't believe in DRM and all that shit and I do believe in extensive Beta testing before the actual release, but that also means that I'd absolutely have to make sure that the beta is time bombed - otherwise people would just keep playing the beta instead of the final thing, cause it would reach something very close to final status at some point.

Yes, it'd be a bit annoying to have an expired copy, but as long as its free and beta, it should be fine, especially if people liked the beta and can get a final copy at the same time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:56 pm

What about compiling with the date object? Past a certain date it will not run.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:26 pm

That's what I meant. The problem would be, people could just set the date back and they can play again.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm

[quote="Neo1000":2mpplu9y]That's what I meant. The problem would be, people could just set the date back and they can play again.[/quote:2mpplu9y]

Agreed, Soon it will get too tiresome to keep playing with the date, I would rather just pay.
Then again almost any copy protection can be beat, so go with what works and spend more time making a great game than worrying about the ultimate protection.

As I final thought they can always keep downloading the trial to play. I suggest simply a demo with only 1 level or a crippled version with out a key feature or save.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic