Download Object

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm

[quote="Neo1000":2mpplu9y]That's what I meant. The problem would be, people could just set the date back and they can play again.[/quote:2mpplu9y]

Agreed, Soon it will get too tiresome to keep playing with the date, I would rather just pay.
Then again almost any copy protection can be beat, so go with what works and spend more time making a great game than worrying about the ultimate protection.

As I final thought they can always keep downloading the trial to play. I suggest simply a demo with only 1 level or a crippled version with out a key feature or save.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Another way:
S saves encrypted, so it's hard to get values in a readable format. Given that, why not restrict the playing time? Use S to add the running time to a variable that is saved as soon as the game quits. If a certain amount exceeds, the game refuses to run, as well as refusing to run if the file is non existant.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 pm

[quote="tulamide":az59gsxe]Given that, why not restrict the playing time? Use S to add the running time to a variable that is saved as soon as the game quits.[/quote:az59gsxe]

Using S would be a great idea. I like tulamide's idea based on play time.

Another easy way (slightly less secure) to mitigate setting the clock back is to keep track of how much time has transpired since last play. Each time someone plays you take note of the absolute value of the difference between last time played and the current clock setting. This info is saved encrypted to disk (using S) and is checked next time the game is run. If someone tries to set the clock back they actually hurt themselves because the time difference will appear like they have played into the future. The way to defeat this is to constantly set the clock back just a little each time you play, but that is a lot of work.. must mean it is a great game! :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:49 pm

[quote="Guyon":4vmvi4rt]Then again almost any copy protection can be beat, so go with what works and spend more time making a great game than worrying about the ultimate protection..[/quote:4vmvi4rt]
Yeah, you're right. We don't have to do this like Ubisoft did with their online DRM. :roll:
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic