Dragonhelm (Tactical roleplaying game)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

This is my experience and my methodology so take this with a grain of salt.
It's better to separate both logic and assets using layout and event sheets.....

I agree with what you wrote, and my game is already organized in such way, otherwise im pretty sure I would have messed it up by now :)

But my game is split into 4 big areas which more or less could be made into separate games.

1. A strategic map (The screen shot of the map) the player moves around this map and caravans will travel with goods from your city to the other empires cities. This is also where dungeons are created and the global events are visualized like plagues etc. The player can buy land build farms, mines, lumberyards and what else they need. And this is also where the other empires behaviors, political ideas and so on happens. But I could turn this into a game in it self, adding military units and so on. However I have chosen not to do that, at least for now, since it would complicate things to much at the moment.

2. Dungeon crawler this is when the player enters a dungeon, it is a rogue like style of the game, so the player can move around here and explorer, find treasures, encounter monsters and so on. So this I could as well turn into its own game, but have decided that I would like combats to be a bit more exciting than you find them in these types of game.

3. Combat screen is where the player goes when they encounter monster, so each of the characters heroes will be individuals with there own stats, skills, equipment, spells etc. And the same with the monsters, if you meet 8 orcs then there will be 8 individual orcs, that can be shamans, warriors, archers etc. And it will play out like a tactical roleplaying game, like you see it in UFO - enemy unknown, so each take turns doing what they want.

4. City crawler this is when a player enters cities, they actually move around the city and can visit shops. And when in Dragonhelm (The players own city) they can buy shops, like taverns, barracks, Alchemy shops and so on. But also its here where they manage there empire, like wages, how many workers they want working in the different areas, how many councillors they want, guards, military resources, set up trading, handing crimes and reply to local peoples requests and foreign empires that contact the player regarding certain things.

So each area is quite huge and are connected through varies elements, like quests for instant are picked up in a city or a dungeon. But the player have to travel to them on the strategic map, then enter the dungeon and play out the rogue style crawler and fight in the tactical combat. So each part is somewhat complicated and then they all also have to work together and when its all is put together there are just a lot of event sheets and functions etc.

But at the moment the strategic map is working and the player can buy land, build structures, find dungeons etc. Also the Dragonhelm city is working so building can be build, the management of the city, such as hiring and setting wages, setup trading are working as well. Again in a basic version so not all things are taken into account as of now. And im currently trying to make the dungeon crawler to work the way I would like it to, but the connection to the dungeon creator is done, it just need a "Go to layout".
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45 pm

The new dungeon generator is done....or at least the basics :D

As mentioned in a former post I decided to recreate the dungeon generator based on a node system. And it seems to work quite well. At least its faster than the old one and suits my needs better. However its still pretty early in development, so at the moment it can just generate a dungeon. Next ill need to add the rooms, doors, stairs, encounters and so on. But think the hardest part is done now.

The generator works pretty much as described in the former post. Only difference is that it runs a clean up after its done creating the dungeon so all weird looking things are fixed.

Here is a demo for those that are interested. (Might have to click the generate dungeon a couple of times if it doesn't generate one, not really sure why, as it just restart the layout, but might just be might browser, never really had any huge success running the apps through them. or it might just be a bug some where :))

Demo of the dungeon generator version 2 - Alpha: Demo of the dungeon generator version 2

EDIT:
Version with size and room support. (The generating problem was a bug. :P)
Demo of the dungeon generator version 2.1 - Alpha: Demo of the dungeon generator version 2.1
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 am

Looks nice. Hope you can get some progress on it. Looks like a very ambitious project. If nothing else I can say, good luck.
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Looks nice. Hope you can get some progress on it. Looks like a very ambitious project. If nothing else I can say, good luck.

Thanks :) Its actually getting along a lot faster than expected as I were very concerned about the dungeon generator in particular. But since the hardest part of it is done, which is the generation it self, which I really feared could make me give up the project after failing it to many times. But it works pretty decent and are easy to maintain and update, so the rest of the things are fairly fast to make.
Added player dummy and light control to it today and it seems to work very well for what I need. So hopefully I can soon get going with the fun part, which are the combat it self :D

Updated version of my dungeon generator:
Demo of the dungeon generator version 2.2 - Alpha: Demo of the dungeon generator version 2.2 - Player dummy and light control
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Absolutely amazing work. The only limits for C2 is truly your own creativity. I'll be checking in on your project daily.
Oh and never regret the large scope of your game. Just as long as you are ready to put years in. There's really no reason your goals won't be accomplished. Surprise the world one day with that epic full release!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 pm

jbr190 wrote:Absolutely amazing work. The only limits for C2 is truly your own creativity. I'll be checking in on your project daily.
Oh and never regret the large scope of your game. Just as long as you are ready to put years in. There's really no reason your goals won't be accomplished. Surprise the world one day with that epic full release!

Thanks for that :)

I just hope it will be a full release, that's enough for me :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 pm

After a request from the forum about a tutorial for the dungeon generator, I decided to spend some time making that. Which took a bit of time, but it let me go through the code in details step by step and I did find some garbage code that I could remove.
However it took some time off from further developing my own generator, but I did manage to integrate it into my game and create an object layer, which will be used for dungeon clutter, ladders and so own. Which will help make the dungeons more unique and give them a more interesting environment. I also managed to integrate a full save and load functionality, so players can exit and re-enter any dungeon that they have former visited should they need to go to town to sell loot or revive a fallen group member. Since I integrated it into the game, there will be no more demos of it, as the other ones were developed in separated projects and could easy be turned into demos.

Tutorial for Dungeon generator Tutorial for Dungeon Generator

EDIT:
After some fiddling around I have now turned it into a real rogue style dungeon generator which support any size both in level size but also with endless number of depth levels. This is a small step for mankind but a giant leap for my dungeon generator :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Nice work! Love the graphical style! Will keep an eye on this :)
:-)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Nice work! Love the graphical style! Will keep an eye on this :)

Thanks a lot, however none of the graphics are likely to be in the final game, as its just graphics that I use during development or training purposes and then when its close to being finished Ill either try to find someone that will help with it or do a complete overhaul my self, which depends a bit on how many graphic elements I need, but since I don't really aim for making the game a graphical miracle anyway I might be able to do it rather fast while keeping it the style I want, which is like a good old '90s roleplaying game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:48 pm

which is like a good old '90s roleplaying game

That is exactly the feel it gave. Like a HD version of the ol' classic RPG art. Gives it a certain charm.
:-)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests