Draw calls triple? Why?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:42 pm

@Arima I thought we were meant to put the collision conditions at the top to ensure we take advantage of the new speed increases...
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:55 pm

@AnD4D , With Arima's .capx, the collision check is getting called every 1 second, so I think the "Put collisions at top" thing wouldn't apply there as it's doing a collision check for 1 tick every second (whilst if you wanted to constantly detect whether something is overlapping or not, then collision cells would lessen the load for having 60 collision checks per tick)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:05 pm

@AnD4D - not all games and situations benefit from collision cells. For some situations this method is better.

@Jase00 - it's checking once per second to make the effect obvious - I didn't mean that people should only check for collisions once per second.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:25 am

@Arima

Thanks for the capx example. It's an approach I never thought of, and may come in handy in the future.

However, in my case collision cell opts were working fine; I was simply attempting to gain an additional advantage by only testing cols ever 3-4 ticks.

I was hoping to break the tests up by only testing 1/3 of the objects per tick, thus cutting the cpu load to third/quarter without cramming all the col testing on a single, intermittent tick (ie, every 0.1 seconds or the like).

However, it seems that, at this point in time, there's no real way to do that and retain the advantage of collision cells. Perhaps it's not even possible.

As I said before, I've moved past this for my game, but it would be nice to see this ability in the future.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Arima wrote:@TiAm - here's an example of how to cycle through instances for reduced collision checks: http://www.amirai.net/forums/filtered_collisions.zip

Any chance this is still around somewhere? I'd like to have a look :D
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:26 pm

AnD4D wrote:
Arima wrote:@TiAm - here's an example of how to cycle through instances for reduced collision checks: http://www.amirai.net/forums/filtered_collisions.zip

Any chance this is still around somewhere? I'd like to have a look :D

Have you tried clicking the link? It works when I click it. If it didn't work when you clicked it, perhaps my web server was down at the time.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General