Drawback to having a lot of layers

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Hi,

I'm currently working on a project that would require a big number of layers.

Is there an effect on performance if my layout has 'too' much layers (ex: 50)?

Thanks in advance .

Nic

• Overdraw is the only real possibility and that's only with a lot of 'force own texture' layers or effects. That's more of a mobile problem, though. You shouldn't really have any problems on PC.

• I noticed that every layer has properties rendered in the debug console.

Does these properties requires alot to calculate and would having lots of them slow down my game?

• I noticed that every layer has properties rendered in the debug console.

Does these properties requires alot to calculate and would having lots of them slow down my game?

I use a lot of layers and it hasn't been a problem. Remember that debug is always slower than actually running the game--not all of that stuff you see in there is displayed constantly at runtime. I don't think I've gone past 30 layers, but the layers are just containers of objects. Nothing more. They're functionally identical to putting all of the objects on the same layer and possibly multiplying movement and positions to account for parallax values. Effects and Force Own Texture layers are the only instance where that's different because then that layer is rendered by itself and then placed with the other layers.

So just try it out, run tests, and change things if it doesn't work.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > I noticed that every layer has properties rendered in the debug console.

>

> Does these properties requires alot to calculate and would having lots of them slow down my game?

>

I use a lot of layers and it hasn't been a problem. Remember that debug is always slower than actually running the game--not all of that stuff you see in there is displayed constantly at runtime. I don't think I've gone past 30 layers, but the layers are just containers of objects. Nothing more. They're functionally identical to putting all of the objects on the same layer and possibly multiplying movement and positions to account for parallax values. Effects and Force Own Texture layers are the only instance where that's different because then that layer is rendered by itself and then placed with the other layers.

So just try it out, run tests, and change things if it doesn't work.

Thanks alot for your advices!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)