Dudeman the QARPY Muppet

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:20 am

Thanks @AllenT

I'm hoping to be able to sit down over the next day or two (if work doesn't keep bugging me) and start adding in the basics of map/world generation.

I'm still thinking about how I want it to work exactly - I have a few options depending on how I want the player to be able to re-locate their "base" on the world map, but it looks like I'm going to have to dive head-first into NWJS data handling (even though I was trying to build the game without it at all) if I want maximum flexibility.

I feel like I can still build the game without having to commit custom save data, but then the player will be stuck at "layout 1" for their base and I really don't want that.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:04 pm

I love this thing and am mystified and delighted that you could make something like this! Very impressive :D

A suggestion: I've run the demo on two separate occasions and both times it took me a while to realise that I needed to click on the guy before I could make him walk (I know it says it in the text at the top so it's probably just my fault, but the fact that the same thing got me confused both times makes me wonder if it could be made more intuitive). Like when you have an empty screen with just a guy, the first thing you want to do is to make him walk somewhere, so it seems a little bit counterintuitive to have to click him first. Or maybe I'm just dumb and picky ;)

Coming soon on Steam!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:26 am

@mikehive

Thanks for the feedback :) The reason he must be clicked first, is that the player will be in control of several characters - think along the lines of any RTS game where the player must first select the unit they want to give orders to, then issue a move/attack command.

The control scheme will be made far more obvious later on, after I have finished adding core mechanics to the game - I will make a short "tutorial" sequence to get the player started.

Characters will also have a certain level of autonomous behaviour as well, so they will also do things on their own to a certain extent (like eating food if they get hungry and food is available, or sleeping if they get tired, etc) but primarily the player will "order" them to complete tasks by selecting them first and then issuing a command.

My next step is actually to get the world map generating locations, then working on how I'm going to save and load data from said locations onto the game screen for the player to interact with. Still a long road ahead before any real "game" happens.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:45 am

Ohhhh, yeah, it makes more sense in context. Fair enough :D

Coming soon on Steam!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:06 am

Being sick the last few days and really unable to do any work, I've had a good time to think about how I'm going to build my map system... I've now run into another conundrum with the way saving and loading will work - so it looks like NWjs file control and hard drive access is here to stay, frustratingly.

First steps to a "proper" save and load system is now in the works instead of using state saving. This will be essential for complete freedom on the map, and total persistence of objects between a potentially infinite amount of locations.

If only there was a way to dynamically create a new "layout" during runtime, then state saving would be just fine - but I'm going to have to shuffle locational data in a single layout, hence my pending headache.

*EDIT*
So after my 500th attempt at trying to understand the dictionary object, and the way to combine it properly with NWJS file access... I have made a fully workable save and load system - which makes me a happy camper. I would expect things to move along rather nicely from now, as this was really one of my major hurdles in developing the game in the way I wanted it to work... yay for my 2d cardboard cut-out brain.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:04 am

I've now extended my new save and load routine to generate random gender specific names for the characters... I like where this is going.

I will start adding a fully complied NWJS download to the main post - since these new features will not work in browser preview version. I will keep the browser upload going for people to see new cosmetic features, but there will be zero data persistence, and I will stop uploading updates once things kick into a higher gear where the data controls will be necessary.

For now, the nameslist will need to be manually copied to a specific folder on your computer if you want to test it out, but I will include some instructions in a text file with the download once I get around to uploading that and making a link.

If anyone else is having issues creating a reliable save and load system for their game (in instances where state-save won't do the job) don't hesitate to PM me and I can supply you with information and a capx file that I'm currently using to generate my names list - since it works with the same load and save method.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:20 am

Map generation is now working flawlessly... the origin point of the map is considered to be (0,0) with coordinate grid tiles being generated on the fly in both positive and negative directions with no limits. There is also a "fog of war".

I can now start working out how I want to place details on the map tiles and generating some other details like ground-cover type, bodies of water, and of course cities and towns.

You can test the basics of the map generation using the live web build at the usual address...

Use the TAB key to switch between the game screen and the map. Arrow keys will move the map camera. Drag and Drop the yellow circle around the map as your "discovery" range. This yellow circle simulates the player moving around and exploring the map.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Map data now saves using nested dictionaries... dictionaries inside of a master dictionary. It was an interesting thought/concept I had and it works really well.

Next goal is to make it so "dudes" can visit locations on the map, and have those locations save persistence data as well.

Again, saving/loading doesn't work for web preview - downloadable standalone compile coming soon.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Dudes (and dudettes) now have hair styles - and a link to the standalone version (with namelists and README instructions for "installation") now included in the web build.

For now, the game puts data in C:\dudeman - so make sure you delete this folder after testing if you don't want junk files hanging around on your system.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:29 am

I've now reduced the limb count on each dude to be like "normal" people - two segments per limb. Having loads of segments was fun - but it was causing too much impact on over-all performance (especially with a lot of dudes) so I will now be re-doing how they're animated as well. Currently the old "walk" animation is still there and looks more hilarious than ever.

Please note, the standalone build still has the old arms and legs for now. I will re-upload that later.

~Sol
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests