Duplicate event sheet

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Could it be possible to add it to some future release?
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:01 am

you just have to group everything in 'Groups'
Hold Ctrl and click each group highlighting them
then Copy

go to NEW Event Sheet
Create a blank group and paste over it

B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:19 am

Or use "includes".
You shouldn't have to duplicate an event sheet anyway.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 am

I think it'd be good to have that option, like duplicating layouts, it's just one click. Includes are good if I want to reuse the same code, if I'd like to do some changes, better would be to clone and edit. I can use both methods you're suggesting guys, it just, imo better to have the option than not have it.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:06 am

Why couldn't you just select everything in the event sheet and copy it over to a new one?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Why would you ever want to duplicate an event sheet? This is a really bad idea for maintainability: if you want to make a change you now have to make it in 2 or even more places, rather than just one. This is exactly the problem event sheet includes are designed to solve. So are you sure you really want to actually duplicate events?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 pm

This helped a lot. THANK YOU. I always wondered if there was a way to not have to rewrite all those events lol. Makes my life a heck of a lot easier.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am

@Ashley:
I find it really good to copy paste a sheet because if you can, you can try out some stuffs without getting confused what has to be disabled all the time and what not.
I already did.

Its just easier for those who are not that strong in programming or those who just dont want a mess in one sheet.

Because if they see the new sheet works, they can calmely delete the last one, or use it for something else.

And in my special case: If I teach children and teens. First of all they need to learn the interface. Thats surprisingly difficult for them. Even when I think thats a simple interface.
I could give them a copy where they just simply copy the sheet, if they didnt understand, or just dont want to understand. Last think happens often. But the fun in making games should stay anyway.

Also I realize, it could be a nice thing to use includes. If you see that some events work, and you like it on an extra sheet, you could just copy+paste them to another sheet and use include.
Or if you can copy an entire sheet, you just copy the entire sheet, delete the events you dont need and then use include.
This could be good for those who are not strong in Javascript. People can make events for other people without using Javascript.

As you can see the use of copy+pasting an event sheet is high.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Just organize events into a global sheet and local sheet.
In the local event sheets just include the global one.

There are very few cases where you'd actually need such a feature, and I think Linta has one. But it's such a rare case that it shouldn't be a feature, since duplicating it manually would only take a little while.. If it is going to be added though, it should be a low priority..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Yep. All my layouts have their own event sheet and then just include the events sheets that use common events.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General