Dynamic Lighting Program for 2D

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 pm

@TELLES0808 - Thanks for sharing, that is great news! I think my artist will weep with joy if it gets working.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 pm

woooooow
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 am

I would encourage you all to take a quick look at the Ethanon engine to get some ideas about how cool it would be to have a dynamic lighting system in C2. Being able to use multiple light sources, with a variable radius, normal, spec, and illumination maps would be quite amazing.

Certainly it would place additional demands on the engine and if you chose to use dynamic lighting you would need account for this in your game design.

The current implementations that I have seen for c2 in the form of plugins, while inspiring, really don't allow for multiple light sources on multiple objects - at least as far as I could figure out.

Somewhat off-topic but I think the particle effects plugin in C2 could really benefit from some additional features (trails, start and end color, jitter, etc).
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:37 am

I agree a good lighting system in games that really use them is just amazing. So much personality and feelings can come from good lighting.

I've seen some good lighting in C2 though, but it is a lot of work to do it in C2. No built in easy advanced lighting.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 am

@srealist - I just watched a quick video and yeah, it looks great. With lighting a strong possibility and multiplayer apparently on the way I am running out of things to ask for!

As for particles, I read Ashley once talking about how he couldn't do rotating on particles due to the way particles are optimised. He went on to say that if you want other effects you should just use sprites. So I'm guessing there are similar issues with your stated particle effects. It would be pretty easy to event those effects from sprites, albeit rather heavy in processing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the modules will be like though, that he mentioned in the blog post. Then we could see many various ways to handle custom particles, amongst other things.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General