Dynamic Sketch Book [dev log]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:20 am

Hi - I think I've almost done it!! Well, 36 levels of 'it' at any rate.

I've given the alpha version a good work out and now need the help of a few good souls to do some beta testing for me. PM me if you're interested - I'll give you a link to a full version of the game (which I might update as we go....). For your pains I'll give you a final copy (either by PM or, if I can figure how to do it, by Desura redeemable keys) - if you think it's worth it. I hope you do....!

Thanks!!

Edit to add: I've had some generous offers of help and think I have more than enough to be getting on with. Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 am

Woop woop! I have started designing chapter 4 (music's already done).... See if you can figure out what on earth is going on LOL!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Great stuff. Those fluids look good (physics circles on a layer with fancy blending mode?). Something you might try is different physical properties on the lines, eg. a rough jagged line (crayon/charcoal?) that has high friction, or a smooth zero friction line (ink/watercolour?). Or even make a springy line using constraints between segments for drawing ropes or trampolines.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:42 pm

@mattb, yes indeed - some careful blending is going on there. Ideally I would have also added a horiz/vert blur to that layer as well, but the overhead was too much - with it you could discern some input lag in the game, so I had to take it out. Not to worry, I think it's good enough...

Some good ideas for physics fun there - thanks! There are some trampolines already, but I hadn't considered having the user draw them. Mmmm - I'll have to think about how to weave that into the engine. Cheers!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 am

@Colludium

Really nice. What i really like are the small level previews as you pass over them on the level select. Good luck with it :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks @spongehammer - I appreciate that. Cheers!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 pm

It's looking great. Keep up the good work.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks @GenkiGenga!

Update: 48 levels now completed. Some are easy and some are quite hard. I've got lots of tidying to do - instruction screens and the like, then I think I'm just about ready to put it in a store! One more give to the beta test team and then my excuses start to run out. Gulp...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 pm

So - in a fit of crazy optimism, I have entered the game in the Green Light thrash-athon. I think I need to put some more work in - luckily I'm enjoying making it!!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:42 pm

OK, a quick progress update. I've decided on a theme for the next few levels - which will take the final total up to 60...!! I'll post some screen shots and maybe a video in a few days, once I'm happy with the 'art'.

The Steam Green Light process wasn't too hard to set up and I'm not getting flamed (too much!) by the voters. Time will tell...

I expect to have this released on itch.io and, if they will ever approve my developer account, Indie Game Stand as well. I'm also going to look into a demo and a pay version for Kongregate - it's been a while since I've been over there so I'm going to have to do some reading...

Anyway, enough procrastination, back to drawing rockets...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests