Early prototype platfomer. Listening and learning

0 favourites
  • Hi. I've been asking around on the forum for a few months and slowly making my first project on my free time.

Currently I work full time in a very bad schedule; I leave home at 9.00 AM to work and I'm not home until 21.00 and then I have to do stuff, expend quality time with girlfriend and a bunch of stuff so that leaves me with just my free day on Sunday to work a few hours only.

The project started as a parody since the main character is kinda like a pink slime that I created for my subicon back when I streamed on Twitch.tv. I found funny to bring that little fella to life, and slowly I advance into my game that now I feel that I have to create a story for this little guy to keep alive.

The storyline is confused and I have no idea how is going to be, probably he/she might just be a "good" bacteria that will save the world from a virus/zombie plague. Maybe. Who knows.

My plan is was to make a puzzle/action platformer but every week I change my mind a bit, so we will see how this ends up. All I have clear i that I do not want the player to have any attack animation, maybe just smashing with a super jump or something like that.

As you can see, everything seems to be yet to be decided, but I keep going backwards and forward and slowly making something out of it. Right now I do not have any mockup level to show up so I will post stuff here then and now looking for tips, feedback and suggestions and hopefully find some motivation to keep going.

I'm a beginner doing both "coding" (if you can say that in C2) and artwork, so I'm very limited and I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

This is my latest addiction to the family. A roof tower. I made it shoot tiny little evil viruses (if I stick with this bacteria will save the world zombie apocalypse) otherwise I will just change the bullet and tahdah.. a brand new game!

Anyways, here's a sneak peak I hope to keep going and post more stuff.

• The art looks pretty nice, well done. It really goes to show how tiny details can bring a level to life.

• The art looks pretty nice, well done. It really goes to show how tiny details can bring a level to life.

Well thanks, considering I have no idea what I'm doing and how to approach things I will take that as a I'm not terrible at this better quit now.

• Looks cute!

• can't wait for a demo !

• Well thanks a lot, I didn't expect any comment so that is a surprise. Working on some pickup animations, still haven't make up my mind yet.

Does this one look good? Or is it too much? Maybe just for a special item and not for simple coins?

• Well thanks a lot, I didn't expect any comment so that is a surprise. Working on some pickup animations, still haven't make up my mind yet.

Does this one look good? Or is it too much? Maybe just for a special item and not for simple coins?

No that is excellent!! The key to making games addictive is to make sure every element is thought of. You did just that so far.

I believe it's a bit much. You could save this one for special items and tone it down a bit for coins and general pickups. Otherwise, the player's eyes could get tired of all the flashing all the time.

• Let me suggest make something to let it more dynamic, make an animation that comes before the object start to fall, so, it will work like a timer if the animation starts the player will know that in 2 seconds something will fall.

Good, so, now you can make random on this same scene.. will not be like old platform games (like mario) every time will be different.

• Let me suggest make something to let it more dynamic, make an animation that comes before the object start to fall, so, it will work like a timer if the animation starts the player will know that in 2 seconds something will fall.

Good, so, now you can make random on this same scene.. will not be like old platform games (like mario) every time will be different.

I want the difficulty of not knowing it forehand to be honest.

PixelPower thank you very much! I'm not used to get compliments on this stuff since I'm just a beginner.

dastmo Maybe you're right I might tone it down a bit, have to different check options

• I made a menu controlled by keyboard or gamepad. IM SO STOKED! Didn't think I could do it.

Now that I have it set up I can start making cool looking sprites for the menu!

• Testing the parallax layers

Colors and the design of the objects will experiment modifications since I'm still trying to get a style and design that I'm happy with and to achieve consistency with every layer and asset in the game. Would appreciate tips!

• Your work looks really great! A game like this with a good story line and diffrent levels and worlds can become a hit! I love the design and i really like the idea of the bacteria who is gonna try to save the world. My suggestion is to use that idea, i love it!

Cant wait to play a demo and see more about your game!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your work looks really great! A game like this with a good story line and diffrent levels and worlds can become a hit! I love the design and i really like the idea of the bacteria who is gonna try to save the world. My suggestion is to use that idea, i love it!

Cant wait to play a demo and see more about your game!

Well thanks. It feels weird to get compliments when you're new at something, because looking at others work I want to change everything all the time and start over. Feels like I'm always one step behind everyone I look. I know is not the right attitude specially when I'm comparing myself with people that has been doing this for year, but can't help it.

Thank you very much for your kind words. For real means a lot to me.

Also... I'm trying to come up with a name for the game, at least a placeholder name, could use some suggestions to get me started hehehe

• > Your work looks really great! A game like this with a good story line and diffrent levels and worlds can become a hit! I love the design and i really like the idea of the bacteria who is gonna try to save the world. My suggestion is to use that idea, i love it!

> Cant wait to play a demo and see more about your game!

>

Well thanks. It feels weird to get compliments when you're new at something, because looking at others work I want to change everything all the time and start over. Feels like I'm always one step behind everyone I look. I know is not the right attitude specially when I'm comparing myself with people that has been doing this for year, but can't help it.

Thank you very much for your kind words. For real means a lot to me.

Also... I'm trying to come up with a name for the game, at least a placeholder name, could use some suggestions to get me started hehehe

No problem friend, when you make something like this you earn my respect. ??

Maybe something with the words bacil or bacteria in it for the name?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)