Easy Module #1 - Dialog module (Templates)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Background Story generation templates. See the Arcade demo.
  • Easy Module #1 - Dialog module — Now for sale in the Scirra Store!

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-free-game-templates/easy-module-1-dialog-module-776

<h3>Tired of plain, flat, instylish browser alert box?</h3><div class="deshr"></div> <p><p>If you are tired of using browser dialog box, this module is what you looking for! Use our eModule dialog box to create complex dialog box with just one simple function call. And all the fancy built-in effects can be turned on through parameter settings. You can also customize your own dialog theme. Come to try the demo now.</p><h3>Can this make RPG conversation dialog?</h3><div class="deshr"></div><p><p>YES. And there are RPG dialog example codes in our example file.</p><h3>Feature list</h3><div class="deshr"></div>

• One function call to start dialog
    • Zoom effect
    • Opacity tween effect
    • Color background with Opacity tween effect
    • 2 Default buttons (can change to 1 or none)
    • 4 ready to use themes
    • Easy installation guide

Use this topic to leave comments, ask questions and talk about Easy Module #1 - Dialog module

• Hi kmsravindra ,

Thank you for interesting in my product! Please find my answers below:

1. Wanted to know if this will work on iOS platforms as well and there will not be any issues while exporting and packaging with Cordova iOS platform?

[Ans]: Not sure. I haven't tried this product on iOS before because I'll need to buy an iPhone first (maybe I'll do it in 2015/May).

2. Can I have buttons, multiple texts / text fonts , multiple images etc., inside this dialogue box? Do I need to create such sprites and buttons, text etc., on top of the dialogue layer?

[Ans]: Yes, you'll need to create extra components by yourself. By default, this dialog module contains 1 icon, 2 text( title & content), 3 buttons( OK & Cancel & Close). If you want to put some extra components, you can create them by <create object> action on "dialog" layer. Every tween effects will apply to this layer. You can find some technical info in below links:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/209 ... nstall.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/209 ... ledges.pdf

3. Can I replace the text on ok and cancel buttons to something that I want? And place them wherever I want?

[Ans]: Yes. You can replace "txt_ok" and "txt_cancel" parameter when calling "create_dialog" function. You can try the following demo and replace the <text for ok> and <text for cancel > fields.

http://www.memoryabc.com/c2_example/dialogTemplate/

4. Can I add more buttons?

[Ans] Yes, you can put your custom buttons on "dialog" layer. And you can call "btn_close" function to close your dialog with tween effect.

• Thanks for the response. I am currently creating a dialogue box using functions in C2 itself (with the needed buttons and logic in a separate layout & including that eventsheet across my apps) but that does not come with tweening. So this plugin sounds useful to me. One more question is does it allow the user to customize the position and size of the dialogue window? Thanks!

• Hi kmsravindra ,

Actually this product is not a plugin. It is composed of several eventsheets with complex events/actions and predefined function calls. User needs to copy those events to his project and include them to your own eventsheet. Of course, this product contains my experiences and knowledge about tween effects, so you can learn my experience by jumping to the codes if you have time.

As a C2 tutor, I will suggest everybody try to learn how to use <liteTween> plugin first, then move onto rexrainbow 's <TweenTasks> plugin. All tween effects in this product are made by <TweenTasks>. It would be a little bit hard to control <TweenTasks>. If you can master <liteTween>/<TweenTasks> plugin then you can realize the same effect without help of this product.

And Yes, you can set dialog box position and size by assigning parameters of "create_dialog" function.

• Hey there Jomo. Im really interested in your asset.

One thing I would like to know is how do you handle large quantities of text?

Also it would be great if you could shared the tutorial pdf you have.

It would be great to have an idea of how the workflow works.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey there Jomo. Im really interested in your asset.

One thing I would like to know is how do you handle large quantities of text?

Also it would be great if you could shared the tutorial pdf you have.

It would be great to have an idea of how the workflow works.

fremachuca The page switch is done by rexrainbow 's <Text Scrolling> behavior.

The pdf is part of the product so I would be very happy if you can support me and buy this product. The work flow is simple:

1. Create a prototype dialog box.

2. Replace things on it.

The most difficult part is how to design code structure to allows user customizing/selecting what they want at the dialog creating moment. And, the tween effect.

• Hi Jomo!

I got your nice module and the manual, and happily tuning it for my project, but here I found some issues:

1. Is it impossible to show a variable's value(e.g. player's name which the user gave) in the dialog content?

It seems the Scenario object's 'MEM' feature can do that, but if I enable the 'MEM' feature (setting the Scenario's 'Eval mode' to 'Yes',) it disables showing every strings(Only numbers can be shown then.) Is there any way to show a variable's value in the lines?

2. How should I change line of the content manually?

In the .csv script, I tried using '& newline &' but seems it doesn't work there: "ABC" & newline & "DEF" shows just "ABC"...

3. How can I pause the typing for a moment(set typing speed lower while typing)...?

I'm struggling with the 'set special font class custom2' group, adding new tags and actions about typing, just to watch error messages says "Javascript error!Uncaught TypeError Cannot read property 'IsActive' of null ..." I think it's not here to add this kind of option, can you give us some tips?

That's huge questions at once... Just some advices or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Hi Hajin ,

I'm happy that this module could be a help! As for your questions, please find my replies as below:

1. Yes. you can enable EVAL mode and use MEM['index'] expression. But if you enalbe EVAL mode, you'll need to add double primes for each parameter. You can find an example image below. It's a tedious work and the reason why I disable EVAL mode in the begging. And please note that you'll need to use plus sign(+) to connect strings.

2. Yes. You can push <ctrl>+<enter> to add a line feed in editor. And you can see the last sentence of my example. The below image is taken from Openoffice. MS Excel uses the same combination key.

3. OK. If you want to pause <Typing> and <Scenario>, please add an new eventsheet and write the following codes(I name it e_pause_typing). After that, includes this new eventsheet in <e_AVG> of my AVG example. Then run the layout, push <P>/<G> keys on keyboard to test.

• You amazed me Jomo, such instructions with screenshots! I followed the way you've shown.

(It took more time than I expected, trying new Open Office and struggling with the fullwidth“”s, and trying to add new tags to enable the pausing in .csv, etc...)

First, the issue 1, 2 are successfully solved! I must thank you for introducing this fine open-source office software as I've been using only Notepad++ and Hancell(which is a native Korean Excel-like software) to edit csvs. At first I tried to add "s in C2's (Scenario) Load command directly but had to see Syntax errors, then tried with those familiar programs but failed, and tried with the Open Office, and finally succeeded!

And now, the remaining is, the issue 3.

The events work well (pausing & resuming the lines) as you've instructed (using the keyboard trigger to test), but the problem is...: As I tried to apply it as a tag(like <class='p'></class> makes pausing, <class='g'></class> gives resuming... by making the events Functions), it never works.

Maybe this kind of applied work is too difficult to a novice like me, but if there could be any further advices, I would try again till success, unless it tires you too much.

Thank you for the kind support!

• Hi Hajin ,

Are you going to pause the conversation and let player to make some choice? If that is want you want, please see the updated v1.2 version. Please refer to <DialogTemplate_Tutorial#2-Advanced_CutSceneAPIs.pdf> . On page#2 there is a flow chart showing a typical cutscene flow. I guess what you are trying to do is what I called "Pause Scene" in this tutorial.

By simply assigning a non-zero value in column#E makes that line enter Pause Scene after the content is shown.

• Sorry for the late reply!

I downloaded the new version(1.2) and followed your new tutorial, checked the new example capx.

Making choices... It must be impossible to discover just myself, and I might had to find other way to realize it, but with this, I can make a choice dialog so simply! The .pdf manual near to a school textbook and the detailed comments in the .capx, they helped me alot to find out the structure of the paragraphs easily, in spite of my short English.

And also, the explanation for the parameters(A~F) was very helpful, as it was becoming vague after my hectic days, and this organized document reminded me of them right away!

Well, that's my impression of the new version. And here, I must add one thing......

The question I asked last time('How can I make pause during the line...?') was, Actually...... what I wished to do is, to express the hesitating or dithering of the speaker, like

"Oh...(cut, wait input) L... (little pause) Let me think about it(low speed)......"

I should have explain more properly, sorry.

But I feel I don't have to regret entirely... as we could see this wonderful new version, and learn adding choice forks.

The answer to the new question above (old, actually...) is just my hope, it would be a happy event to fine a solution but that's when you have some time to spare, and I already appreciate your nice support.

Now I should go digest this new example more carefully. Thank you!

• Hey Jomo!

I imported the V1.2's new events, and edited my .csv script (following the API parameter A~F form), but here I faced a problem:

I set my testing paragraph's 'tag' to 'test1' (in my .csv),

but when I preview, It keep shows error msg 'Assertion failure: Scenario: Could not find tag test1'.

I thought I adapted every changes of the new version, but maybe I missed something...... I'm keep looking for the missed point but couldn't find any clue.

Can you give me an advice of what kind of situation can cause this error?

• Hajin

Umm.....I can just guess where the problem is.

1. In V1.2, I turn on the <Eval mode> for <Scenario> plugin. Under this mode, every data field in .csv need to be surrounded by a pair of double-primes(" "). BE CAREFUL if you are using OPEN OFFICE to edit your CSV! You need to set the string separator to be single-prime(' ), not double-prime. Otherwise every double prime in your CSV will be tripled!

2. If you are sure everything is correct but there are still problems, then the problems may arise from csv format. You can try to use Windows Notepad editor to edit the .csv.

• I found it!

It was the semi-colon. My .csv's seperator (on OpenOffice) was set to semi-colons, so after struggling with these options on OpenOffice, I came back to the notepad++ and edited (replaced all ';' by ',') and finally it works. Thanks!!

BTW... here I got another one. About the API calls.

Is another API call no longer available?

(In the V1.1, I added a kind of custom API call like below...)

(the Function2 "YesMove" enabled player's move, which is disabled with Function "NoMove" at the 'create_dialog')

I tried this on V1.2 but seems it doesn't work anymore.

well that's question after question... Thanks always.

• I found it!

It was the semi-colon. My .csv's seperator (on OpenOffice) was set to semi-colons, so after struggling with these options on OpenOffice, I came back to the notepad++ and edited (replaced all ';' by ',') and finally it works. Thanks!!

BTW... here I got another one. About the API calls.

Is another API call no longer available?

(In the V1.1, I added a kind of custom API call like below...)

(the Function2 "YesMove" enabled player's move, which is disabled with Function "NoMove" at the 'create_dialog')

I tried this on V1.2 but seems it doesn't work anymore.

well that's question after question... Thanks always.

This time it is hard to guess where the bug is... But I noticed that there are 3 successive double primes in the 1st row. Can u try to delete the extra double primes?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)