Easy Module #1 - Dialog module (Templates)

Discuss Scirra's 2D Asset Store

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 am

Sorry for the late reply!
I downloaded the new version(1.2) and followed your new tutorial, checked the new example capx.
Making choices... It must be impossible to discover just myself, and I might had to find other way to realize it, but with this, I can make a choice dialog so simply! The .pdf manual near to a school textbook and the detailed comments in the .capx, they helped me alot to find out the structure of the paragraphs easily, in spite of my short English.
And also, the explanation for the parameters(A~F) was very helpful, as it was becoming vague after my hectic days, and this organized document reminded me of them right away!

Well, that's my impression of the new version. And here, I must add one thing......
The question I asked last time('How can I make pause during the line...?') was, Actually...... what I wished to do is, to express the hesitating or dithering of the speaker, like
"Oh...(cut, wait input) L... (little pause) Let me think about it(low speed)......"
I should have explain more properly, sorry.

But I feel I don't have to regret entirely... as we could see this wonderful new version, and learn adding choice forks.
The answer to the new question above (old, actually...) is just my hope, it would be a happy event to fine a solution but that's when you have some time to spare, and I already appreciate your nice support.

Now I should go digest this new example more carefully. Thank you! :D
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:20 am

Hey Jomo!
I imported the V1.2's new events, and edited my .csv script (following the API parameter A~F form), but here I faced a problem:
I set my testing paragraph's 'tag' to 'test1' (in my .csv),
but when I preview, It keep shows error msg 'Assertion failure: Scenario: Could not find tag test1'.
I thought I adapted every changes of the new version, but maybe I missed something...... I'm keep looking for the missed point but couldn't find any clue.
Can you give me an advice of what kind of situation can cause this error?
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:28 am

@Hajin

Umm.....I can just guess where the problem is.

1. In V1.2, I turn on the <Eval mode> for <Scenario> plugin. Under this mode, every data field in .csv need to be surrounded by a pair of double-primes(" "). BE CAREFUL if you are using OPEN OFFICE to edit your CSV! You need to set the string separator to be single-prime(' ), not double-prime. Otherwise every double prime in your CSV will be tripled!

2. If you are sure everything is correct but there are still problems, then the problems may arise from csv format. You can try to use Windows Notepad editor to edit the .csv.
Providence University, lecturer.

Tatung University, lecturer.

Consultant per question: USD$15 / time

Consultant by month: USD$300 / month

Customized project: USD$2500 / capx
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:52 am

I found it!
It was the semi-colon. My .csv's seperator (on OpenOffice) was set to semi-colons, so after struggling with these options on OpenOffice, I came back to the notepad++ and edited (replaced all ';' by ',') and finally it works. Thanks!! :D

BTW... here I got another one. About the API calls.
Is another API call no longer available?
(In the V1.1, I added a kind of custom API call like below...)
(the Function2 "YesMove" enabled player's move, which is disabled with Function "NoMove" at the 'create_dialog')
I tried this on V1.2 but seems it doesn't work anymore.
well that's question after question... Thanks always. :)
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:14 am

Hajin wrote:I found it!
It was the semi-colon. My .csv's seperator (on OpenOffice) was set to semi-colons, so after struggling with these options on OpenOffice, I came back to the notepad++ and edited (replaced all ';' by ',') and finally it works. Thanks!! :D

BTW... here I got another one. About the API calls.
Is another API call no longer available?
(In the V1.1, I added a kind of custom API call like below...)
(the Function2 "YesMove" enabled player's move, which is disabled with Function "NoMove" at the 'create_dialog')
I tried this on V1.2 but seems it doesn't work anymore.
well that's question after question... Thanks always. :)

This time it is hard to guess where the bug is... But I noticed that there are 3 successive double primes in the 1st row. Can u try to delete the extra double primes?

B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:18 pm

jomo wrote:This time it is hard to guess where the bug is... But I noticed that there are 3 successive double primes in the 1st row. Can u try to delete the extra double primes?

Actually... when I replace all those """s into "s, every output becomes 0. (just like when they're not surrounded with ""s)
I looked into the cutscene.csv (with notepad++) and there were also """s, so I just let them there. (I'm now getting afraid of trying something more with OpenOffice... lol)

Oh and the issue of the API call... I just added the functions needed after the dialog (ex: "YesMove") into the "on_destroy_dialog" and everything got solved. Hallelujah!
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Hajin wrote:
jomo wrote:This time it is hard to guess where the bug is... But I noticed that there are 3 successive double primes in the 1st row. Can u try to delete the extra double primes?

Actually... when I replace all those """s into "s, every output becomes 0. (just like when they're not surrounded with ""s)
I looked into the cutscene.csv (with notepad++) and there were also """s, so I just let them there. (I'm now getting afraid of trying something more with OpenOffice... lol)

Oh and the issue of the API call... I just added the functions needed after the dialog (ex: "YesMove") into the "on_destroy_dialog" and everything got solved. Hallelujah!

Umm.... I'm glad to hear that you solve it finally, but for me it's not a perfect solution. If you have time, send me your minimal .capx which could reproduce the bug without disclose your confidential game designs. I'll find some time to examine it.

B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:43 am

jomo wrote: Umm.... I'm glad to hear that you solve it finally, but for me it's not a perfect solution. If you have time, send me your minimal .capx which could reproduce the bug without disclose your confidential game designs. I'll find some time to examine it.

I think it's gonna be hard to extract the part of the dialog module since they already have dissolved in many event sheets... but I'll try!
B
S

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:54 am

Hey Jomo!
I got some new issues for you, actually, for me, and they are two... Hope you're not having tired days. ;)

1. the Dialogs' Position on scaled browser
When I start with the upscaled browser screen (ex: 120%, 150%...), or after requesting fullscreen, the dialogs doesn't appear at the right place, their positions go wrong (appear too lower, or go somewhere far away out of the screen, etc....)
I think this could be critical, 'cause scaling screen could be indispensable option for many projects, including mine... I tried giving Anchor behaviour to the dialog components, but seems it doesn't help. Got any idea to solve this?

(and requesting fullscreen, just makes them disappear.)

2. Pause Scene ID
I think it's not likely to a bug, but troubling me for so long......
For some reason, in my project, the "custom_n" doesn't accept my .csv's Pause Scene ID. When the dialog shows up, dialog_variable's 'dialog_pause_id' never changes (in the inspector.)
I looked over at the template .capx and my project to find a difference or any missing point, but couldn't find any, and now assuming this could be a .csv matter again.

Input:
(the """s are still there, as they worked anyway... until now.)
"""1"""(Param(2)) is the Pause Scene ID.

Output:
(the characters in front of the variable names are just for distinguish)
I tried changing them into text variable then number variable again, adding and subtracting """s, everything I could guess but it beats me. Can you guess what could be wrong...?
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:51 am

@Hajin
Thanks for the cheer-up! ;) And please find my comments below:

1. Position self adaptation:
I noticed that your background is correct but the dialog is offset. So I think the offset is coming from position calculation. For example , if you use <scale outer> fullscreen you'll need to calculate the screen width/height and top-left/bottom-right coordinate before create a dialog. Below is how I do it:

2. pause_id
What if you assign a character "a" to your custom instance variable? (try make var type to "text" )

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Scirra Store