Editor rendering errors with 9-patch and effects

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
7 Errors
$15 USD
7 Errors is a game where you have to find the 7 mistakes before time runs out. Can you find all 7? Have fun looking.
  • Problem Description

When the following conditions are true, the problem will occur:

1. Have a 9-patch in your layout.

2. On the same layer as the 9-patch, have an object (a Sprite, for example) with a certain type of effect (Tint is known to cause it) render after the 9-patch.

3. Have enough textures loaded into the Construct 2 editor. The exact amount required is unknown and may vary between machines. The loaded textures don't have to be from the same project. If in doubt, load a few very large projects. I use a project with 257 objects in a layout with unique images for each, with an estimated video memory usage of 63.3 MB

The 9-patch will still be visible, but the object with the Tint effect and everything that renders after it will render incorrectly, usually resulting in seeing nothing at all.

Attach a Capx

I created a minimalist file, however, by itself, it does not have enough textures to cause the issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B40Xy ... VhKSVpiQ0E

Alternate file created by wertandrew

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkG5n8_vobVPg4sGtkt5LLjeitvUOA

Description of Capx

My capx simply has the minimum objects to cause the error, though not enough textures.

wertandrew's can meet the requirements by itself (on my machine), but if you can't reproduce, try loading more textures.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Install Construct 2 64-bit. It must be 64-bit, as the problem doesn't happen on 32-bit.
    • Open example capx.
    • Make sure the project setting 'Preview Effects' is enabled.
    • Load a large project or two for good measure, in the same Construct 2 instance.
    • View the layout from the example capx.
    • Scroll around a bit. Sometimes it will appear normal when you first load it, and start screwing up if you scroll the window or zoom.

Observed Result

In my example capx, the grey box Sprite that is tinted red disappears, as well as the Sans Sprite. The 9-patch remains visible exactly where it should be.

Expected Result

I expect the objects to render where they are supposed to be.

Affected Browsers

None, this is an editor only bug.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 10 64-bit

Windows 7 64-bit

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 240 (64-bit) has this problem.

Release 240 (32-bit) does not have this problem.

Most of the time this bug has the effect of making it seem like objects disappeared, but I've seen a case where objects were in the wrong place and following the screen scroll (I can provide a video if needed, but not a capx), and I've seen a case where the objects somehow got a 3d rotation applied to them. This leads me to believe that it is related to an OpenGL vertex transformation matrix.

Yes, this is a duplicate to the bug you closed here:

9-patches-create-errors-in-editor-view_t183574

However, I am completely unconvinced that this is a driver issue. I tested this on the following configurations:

Windows 10 64-bit

AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series

Driver date: 2016-02-26

Windows 7 64-bit

Nvidia GeForce GT 640M

Driver date: 2016-07-10

On both systems, the problem occurs on 64-bit Construct 2, and not 32-bit Construct 2. Same exact bug, two completely different card vendors (and drivers). I've observed this bug for at least a couple of years, through many Construct 2 versions, so this isn't a regression. It has always been there since I started using it. I find it incredibly unlikely that both drivers from both vendors have the same exact bug, and it somehow only affects the Construct 2 editor and absolutely nothing else. Keep in mind I have a large steam library, and I've played most of the games in it without any sort of issue like this.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Does turning off effect rendering fix the issue for you? That's a solution we've been provided for the same report, along with: Your drivers are at fault because it always is so

• Does turning off effect rendering fix the issue for you? That's a solution we've been provided for the same report, along with: Your drivers are at fault because it always is so

Yes, I mentioned that in the post I edited a bunch in the previous thread. I also mentioned here in the steps to reproduce "Make sure the project setting 'Preview Effects' is enabled" because turning that off makes the problem stop. You probably didn't read the whole bug report, so I'll just tell you again that the 32-bit Construct 2 does not have this problem.

• Ashley how much more do you need to understand it's not a driver issue? This time we've even found someone with the problem on something else than an nVidia

• Somehow I got sucked in to investigating this.. It definitely happens to me too.. AMD Radeon 6800 if it helps..

I started playing around.. and this thing makes no sense..

I deleted everything from wertandrew's project except debugbox (sprite), limelight font (spritefont), and the playerwindows (sprite) (-- no 9-patches left!) and the bug is still there.

Deleting either the debugbox or the spritefont makes it go away.

OR

Taking the set color effect off of either of them makes it go away.

OR

Adding another effect to either of them also makes it go away.

So anyway.. not sure I've helped any, but it seems to me the 9-patch is irrelevant.. If it might help, here's the capx super simplified (no 9-patch) and still bugged: [link removed in lieu of new one]

EDIT: I just reopened that file and now it's not bugged.. so maybe it only stayed bugged after deleting all the stuff..

EDIT again: I went through my delete objects test again, but this time I left one more spritefont in.. the saved file still contains the bug (super simplified, no 9-patches). the "makes it go away" list above still applies, except that when deleting the playerfont spritefont, you don't see that it's fixed until you save and reload.. so confusing.

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Aaz ... UdBVEZxM2s

• Very interesting. So spacedoubt you think the spritefont might be causing this? Never thought of that. The reason I think it was related to the 9-patch is because the issue originally arose when I started adding 9-patches into my big project and it was obvious that something started to look wrong. Also in some cases it was dead obvious as as soon as I dragged a 9-patch into a layout, it would make other sprites disappear.

Btw Johncw87 we observed that 3D weirdness you mentioned on the other thread in our big C2 project. If you zoom in, objects are stretched accordingly to the zoom amount, its midly annoying because for us it happens on our placeholder layout and we cant select things easily without playing with the camera first. Not sure if its the same issue though, but it could be.

• I can't reproduce any issue on Windows 10 64-bit with an nVidia GTX 1070 - it looks like this, which AFAICT is correct: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15217362/9patchrendering.png

It never changes as I scroll/zoom around.

Graphics drivers are total garbage and I definitely can believe that two vendor's drivers are broken. Graphics vendors optimise like mad for the latest AAA game releases, and they often break less used apps. It is entirely plausible that both vendors made some optimisation for a recent game that breaks C2.

It could be an issue with C2 itself, but there are two points against that:

1) I should be able to reproduce it in my copy of C2, but I cant, suggesting the C2 code can work at least sometimes, and

2) it ought to reproduce in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions identically if it's a logic problem with C2's code, since we compile the same source code for both builds.

So this seems like it could be some kind of 64-bit driver issue, but I have to admit, I'm not sure. These kinds of problems are notoriously borderline-impossible to solve. We've had a bunch of them in the past. At least this isn't a serious one - we've had "C2 crashes on startup on all Radeon cards of this model" in the past...

• Ashley Ok, will build a GTX 1070 on my Windows 10 64 bit. What brand did you buy? Asus, Gigabyte?? What driver do you have installed?

• Ashley At least now we are on stage 3, it's going forward... Don't take it bad, I'm a java dev, I react the same and I proudly wear that shirt....

• I can't reproduce any issue on Windows 10 64-bit with an nVidia GTX 1070 - it looks like this, which AFAICT is correct: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15217362/9patchrendering.png

It never changes as I scroll/zoom around.

A key thing missing from that screenshot is having another, large project loaded into the editor at the same time. I thought I made that pretty clear. Load multiple large projects, just to be sure.

http://i.imgur.com/AWnaaEL.png

Even the grid is missing (which is unusual for this bug).

2) it ought to reproduce in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions identically if it's a logic problem with C2's code, since we compile the same source code for both builds.

So this seems like it could be some kind of 64-bit driver issue, but I have to admit, I'm not sure. These kinds of problems are notoriously borderline-impossible to solve. We've had a bunch of them in the past. At least this isn't a serious one - we've had "C2 crashes on startup on all Radeon cards of this model" in the past...

While I've never seen it myself, there are potential problems that can arise when compiling for 64-bit. The only thing I can think of though, is making an assumption that pointers are 4 bytes long. Perhaps a pointer is being stored in a variable that is only 4 bytes long in the 64-bit build? If I were you, I would take a close look at any pointers that may be stored on the same struct or class that contains any OpenGL transformation matrices.

• Ashley Any news?

• Ashley is that fixed in Construct 3???

• I was thinking about this bug again today, and decided to try replicating it on a software OpenGL implementation, to rule out driver bugs completely. I downloaded Mesa 3D 12.0.6 for this test, cross-compiled it from Ubuntu for windows 64-bit, and placed the resulting opengl32.dll into my Construct 2 folder. As an added precaution, I removed all 3rd-party plugins that could render something. As I expected, I was still able to reproduce the bug. I know for a fact that Construct 2 was using Mesa 3D, as process explorer showed that opengl32.dll was loaded from the Construct 2 folder, instead of System32 (also the editor ran pretty slowly, which was expected). If anyone else wants to try this without having to compile Mesa 3D, I've put it on google drive.

Psychokiller1888 I don't think your 'persistence' in this matter is helping. If you have no new information to offer for this bug report, could you maybe chill? I know the bug is annoying, but you have a few usable workarounds. You don't need to hound Ashley about it.

• The fact that he doesn't care is enough. They are hiding behind an easy excuse of the drivers being the problem because they can't repro. This bug has been reported since looong and always been denied. It is not my job to look around and bring informations in that sense. I can give infos if I have them and/or I'm being asked, but as you can see, no officials ever asked anything. Bug reporting here is terrificly bad. I can act nice you know, when I'm taken serious. This is by far not the case here as you can see based on the answers you got after all the huge work you made for them trying to rule out cases and demonstrate with A+B that it is not a driver bug.

• The fact that he doesn't care is enough. They are hiding behind an easy excuse of the drivers being the problem because they can't repro. This bug has been reported since looong and always been denied. It is not my job to look around and bring informations in that sense. I can give infos if I have them and/or I'm being asked, but as you can see, no officials ever asked anything. Bug reporting here is terrificly bad. I can act nice you know, when I'm taken serious. This is by far not the case here as you can see based on the answers you got after all the huge work you made for them trying to rule out cases and demonstrate with A+B that it is not a driver bug.

Think about it from his perspective. Lets say that you are tasked with fixing this bug, and you can't replicate it. How do you even begin trying to find the cause if the issue never manifests on your machine? How would you know if you have fixed it or not? Instead of complaining about how much he "doesn't care" (which is NOT helpful), try to help Ashley reproduce it. That's how this will get fixed.

Also, consider the small size of Scirra's dev team, and that Construct 3 is in development. Ashley probably doesn't have a bunch of time to dedicate to hunting down minor bugs like this, especially when you consider how many non-bugs get reported. The more you can do to narrow down the cause, the easier it will be for Ashley to identify the bug and fix it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)