[Effect] Color Fusion, formerly Color Overlay

Completed plugins, behaviors and effects.

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 pm

NEW VERSION (Dec 14, 2010)

This effect just merges a certain amount of a chosen color to the original. I did this one, because I didn't find a simpler one.

How to use it:
Red
Green
Blue

These first three parameters define the color you wish to lay over your image in color values (0-255)
Intensity Defines the amount of the color in the resulting image. The more amount the less original colors. (for example {red 255, intensity 100%} totally replace all original colors with shades of red)

Install:
Download and put "color fusion.fx" in the effects folder.

Download:
Color Fusion.fx
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:47 pm

sweet, does it preserves alpha?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:11 pm

that's cool
I think I'll be using this in my game if it's dynamic and all that
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:17 am

[quote="Madster":319iyxxy]sweet, does it preserves alpha?[/quote:319iyxxy]
Yes. Well, at least with the sprites I tested it with :)

[quote="lucid":319iyxxy]that's cool
I think I'll be using this in my game if it's dynamic and all that[/quote:319iyxxy]
I'm not quite sure, what you mean. The parameters are changable during runtime, of course. Smooth transitions when using TimeDelta are also possible. A built-in parameter animation is not present.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:47 pm

This looks great, perfect for day/night effects and the like.
I'll probably be using this in my projects.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:47 pm

This is quite a nice effect. After trying to make a color replacer for up to ten colors (which didn't work since only 32 registers are allowed :p :/ ) I tried advancing this effect a bit:

Color Over2.fx
[url:153vi09q]http://www.mediafire.com/?9a98km3w3g5hxz2[/url:153vi09q]

What's been added:
I spit the intensity regulator into three parts for each color channel. Further I added the effect of color inversion, also split up into three channels. Finally a color channel swap was added, which can swap all the values of the different color channels.

There are quite a few new parameters, I admit, but the effect is really useful for all different sorts of recoloring.

An additional fun thing thing about the effect (also with tulamide's Color Overlay) is that the values don't have to be between 0-100% . This might not be intended, but it's again quite useful in achieving nice color effects. This is as close as I'll get to color swapping, and it requires quite a bit of probing, but the recoloring possibilities are impressive.
B
G

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:06 pm

First, some useful additions, e.g. the channel swapping. We could see color overlay as the every-day-use effect (the idea was to keep it simple), whereas color overlay 2 serves as tool for pros, for the ones who need more control to tweak their colors. Really nice.

[quote="Alacorn":123cdh1r]An additional fun thing thing about the effect (also with tulamide's Color Overlay) is that the values don't have to be between 0-100% . This might not be intended, but it's again quite useful in achieving nice color effects. This is as close as I'll get to color swapping, and it requires quite a bit of probing, but the recoloring possibilities are impressive.[/quote:123cdh1r]
It was connived, but the results outside 0-100% may differ unexpectedly from what one has in mind, so it is a "handle with care" :)

I'm currently (and because of design issues probably a little longer) working on an effect, that does color indexing, meaning swapping whole palettes of colors. It works fine but is limited in the way of initial coloring, so it will take a while to figure out a good and convenient way. Maybe I'm posting a test version to see what input comes from the community. I'm not sure.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I haven't learned any of this fx making stuff yet, but I had an idea in chat, is this possible:
[quote:evlok8qm]<loosemib>: would it be possible to make an effect get the colors from one sprite, like a square with a bunch of colors to the left and right
<loosemib>: aligned so the left column is the "from" colors, and the right column is the "to" colors
<loosemib>: and it uses this sprite to determine how to swap pallettes for the actual colorswapping sprite?[/quote:evlok8qm]
using the pallette sprite as the foreground object, but retrieving color info from all the 0x locations and the 1x locations determining the from/to colors?
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 pm

[quote="lucid":16alxvhr]I haven't learned any of this fx making stuff yet, but I had an idea in chat, is this possible:
[quote:16alxvhr]<loosemib>: would it be possible to make an effect get the colors from one sprite, like a square with a bunch of colors to the left and right
<loosemib>: aligned so the left column is the "from" colors, and the right column is the "to" colors
<loosemib>: and it uses this sprite to determine how to swap pallettes for the actual colorswapping sprite?[/quote:16alxvhr]
using the pallette sprite as the foreground object, but retrieving color info from all the 0x locations and the 1x locations determining the from/to colors?[/quote:16alxvhr]
My approach is similar, but this exact example is not possible. The reason is, that you have only access to the actual foreground object but the background is averything behind it as one display size image. You can't select certain objects from the background.
The way I'm doing it is that one sprite serves as the "to" palette and changes the complete background it covers. The "from" is the actual problem. I'm still experimenting with greyscale or one of the color channels, but that would mean I need to develop an app that does the indexing prior to the game and creates special images from the source images based on the number of indices used. Sounds weird, I know, hard to explain, maybe I should just release it as test version and see where we can get with it.

EDIT: hmm, maybe it is possible...let me test a bit...

EDIT 2: no, sorry, the limitations of the instruction slots are too strict. What I wrote above is the only possible way.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I didn't test it yet, but how does this differ from a solid color sprite with overlay on top of the image? I'm just curious, not saying it isn't useful or anything.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Completed addons