Enable / Disable Force Own Texture Layer

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:59 am

You still haven't provided a use case. I don't think there is any technical reason "Force own texture" should increase the CPU usage, only GPU usage. So I want to see a .capx proving this, otherwise we're adding a feature for the wrong reason, or no reason at all.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Ashley wrote:You still haven't provided a use case. I don't think there is any technical reason "Force own texture" should increase the CPU usage, only GPU usage. So I want to see a .capx proving this, otherwise we're adding a feature for the wrong reason, or no reason at all.

Seen that one coming. So predictable. W/e.
Protip: summer is comming. Use some of the vaccation time and develop a game using your own software. From start to finish. Publishing - included. All platforms.
You will quickly discover how many User's feature requests will suddenly start making sense.
So we finaly won't need to explain the obvious, every bloody time. Believe it or not - but some of us are not teenagers and have ambition to produce something more then Cookie Clickers and Flappy Birds.

One example/use case.
Erase Mask ON/OFF.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:54 pm

We get an enormous volume of feature requests, and the best way for us to prioritise them is to understand why they are necessary. If someone says something like "please add a feature to make it look like objects are being juggled by a clown!" without providing any explanation why that's important. Then I have to weigh that up with say 100 other feature requests, and I just wonder "what's so great about making objects look like they are being juggled by a clown?" It doesn't sound essential and there was no justification, so I'll probably do something else first.

I can't go and make a game that needs all 100 feature requests to see for myself, because there are so many requests, and they span genres, development styles, markets, platforms, environments and so on, I've got no chance. So I listen to what people say, but only if they describe why. If you look through this thread it's only people saying "please add it", and the only justification involved CPU usage which doesn't make any sense and wasn't backed up with a .capx demonstrating it.

So if you want to turn an erase mask effect off, why wouldn't you just hide the layer instead?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:01 pm

I can understand the concern of ashley as, if the force own texture is ON, it is because it is required (if it was n0ot you would have letted it be off in the first place and so, the request there also does not make sense), and so turning it off just would break the desired effect (at least I never needed to trigger it at runtime).

So it is not obvious why it is needed, apart from the mask but then it would be clever to request a better masking system.

Not attacking, just saying that it was obvious that the earth was round nowadays but before the obvious thing was it being flat.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 pm

wow I really forgot this thread... let me see my old capx.
Last edited by Joannesalfa on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:30 pm

I think my capx were missing... however I made a quick sample based from blend modes sample

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/762 ... ssues.capx

Notice fps can be affected and some blend effects don't require force texture.

For some reasons, I remeber i add modal window which is using force texture, when they are destroyed (no blend effects now) and goes to map screen, it bothers FPS because Texture own layer is active and it cannot be turned off.

Maybe isn't 100% explanation, but do it what the developers need it due that they cannot modify C2 editor.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:59 am

Joannesalfa wrote:I think my capx were missing... however I made a quick sample based from blend modes sample

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/762 ... ssues.capx

Notice fps can be affected and some blend effects don't require force texture.

For some reasons, I remeber i add modal window which is using force texture, when they are destroyed (no blend effects now) and goes to map screen, it bothers FPS because Texture own layer is active and it cannot be turned off.

Maybe isn't 100% explanation, but do it what the developers need it due that they cannot modify C2 editor.

I've added browser object, and run it in full screen 1080, and on both layouts i had cpu:1% and 60fps, very shortly after layout started, but I have pretty beefy rig ( specs in description )
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:52 pm

@Aphrodite , I have been asking for a better masking system since I first started using C2, to no avail :)

Ahh... If only we could use any Sprite and/or Layer to mask in (or out) any other Sprite and/or Layer...

Something like masking options on the Sprite's/Layer's properties:

Set as a Mask: Yes/No
-Mask: In/out
-Use: Alpha/Luma

Use a Mask: (choose Sprite/Layer)

Ok, back to sleep now... ;)
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Wow, you guys read my mind!

As for a use case, 'force own texture' guarantees an entire extra screen of fillrate. At 1080p that's HUGE, and having graphical settings in a game to turn some special effects on/off will be critical.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 pm

@Ashley don't miss this news.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General