Encryption and Obfuscation.

Post » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have not seen anything about it.

Does/ Will Construct 3 provide encryption and/ or obfuscation of the published game?
I read on Buildbox forums that a lot of their Iphone and Android games have been basically stolen ripped from adds and re-uploaded. The developers seemed to have deemed this a big issue - for good reason - and is building some sort of encryption for the next version.

If there aren't any currently. (Last I checked with C2 there were none)Are there any way of adding some sort of protection to those desktop and browser games? If not currently is this a planned feature for C3?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Ok, what does encryption do for a copy of a game?
I mean they have a copy of the game, and they are selling copies of the game.
They don't need to decrypt the game to do that.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

5 notifications, but no posts. Lets call it monkeyball whispers
Im going to assume there was an argument that it was a ad based app.
Tell me, what good is encryption when the id used by the advertiser is easily found, and replaced?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:31 am

If you serve an encrypted game or parts of games that are encrypted, the client needs to decrypt it to play it at some point. At that point, it's copyable.

I believe last time I spoke to Ash about it in the future there is plan for basic XOR encryption on C3 game assets as an option, this just puts a small roadblock up for more amateur copiers. Anyone determined will be able to get around anything else pretty trivially. Beware of other engines that oversell the benefits of encryption.

Don't forget there is always going to be an overhead when decrypting something which could detract from user experience of your game. It's important to remember this as attempts to completely protect your games are futile - so is it even worth it?
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

Previous discussion: https://www.scirra.com/forum/encryption-in-construct-2_t187566

Long story short, no matter how sophisticated the encryption, the app itself needs the resources decrypted and a good attacker will scrape the resources from RAM. AFAIK there's very little that can be done about that. Copyright law is probably the best protection. Something like a quick XOR pass will only keep lazy script kiddies out.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

I read that thread now and I see the pro's and cons.
I think something simple to at least make it not so obvious for layman to just rip the assets should be ok.
Maybe the Plugin route is better. The people that want to add soe kind of protection can do so via a plugin.

Either case, it will happen no matter what you do I guess. If they want steal the content there are ways.
B
S
G

Return to General Discussion