Epic Platformer (Game Templates)

Discuss Scirra's 2D Asset Store

Post » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:13 am

YoHoho wrote:I wanted to ask what would be the best/easiest way to create similar enemies that have added conditions? An example would be having the plant enemy shoot a fireball at the player when the player is within a certain distance.

Hi YoHoho

There are several approaches to add shooting to plants. An easy one is to do this:

I just added the marked code (yellow background). It's basically just a copy of the wizard fireball cast.

Result:

Of cause you need to adjust start of fireball and plant "attack" animation.

Hope that helps :-)
Last edited by Soluna Software on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 am

Ragevortex wrote:This template looks interesting. I just added it to my wishlist to buy it later. I am wondering, however, with a few "tweaks" If I'll be able to add melee weapons/combat to it. I have a project that I'll be using that on :)

Hi Ragevortex

Yes that should be no problem. Melee is already implemented (player will attack with a sword if he has no weapon).

If more complex melee is to be added I would suggest doing this:

1. Make a cool attack animation (e.g. swing of axe or perhaps a magic staff) E.g:

2. Create a "HurtArea". A "HurtArea" can be created easily by the CreateHurtArea function in the Epic Platformer template. It basically just an invisible sprite that exist for a short moment that will hurt any enemies touching it (by using several parameters you can adjust stuff like position, hurt amount and life time).

2. ... or (if range attack) create one or more moving (Bullet behavior) projectiles (e.g. a fireball). See also the Wizard enemy in the Epic Platformer.
Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Cool. I just got the template in bundle with the other two maps which is cool. I would've liked to have a "spritesheet" for the character to sit and re-draw my frames rather than do them per animation but whatever works. Tried it out and so far looks awesome. It's good to have a good solid ground to build on and being able to concentrate on the art, story and game design. Great job.
Freefall Bird
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 am

Hallo,
sry for the delay, I was busy at work.

Is there not an animation supposed to play?
B

Post » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:33 pm

kuze86 wrote:Hallo,
sry for the delay, I was busy at work.

Is there not an animation supposed to play?

Yes, an animation should play when climbing a rope. It work fine on my computer. I really do not know why it is not playing in your setup.

Did you change any code or sprites?

Try pressing 'd' key (it will show some debug info). Is your FPS extreme low (< 5)?

In the code, in group 'Game: Player animations' the logic for playing 'climb on rope is located.

Another option is to download the asset again (I just updated it with some few things).
Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Version 1.4 of this asset has been released.

Among other things, Jumpers has been added. See full list of changes in first post of this forum thread.

And also, extra graphics is available in the Store!!

E.g. https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-free-game-tilemaps/epic-winter-tilemap-3361:

Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm really liking how this template was put together, especially since practically everything is done without using functions.

Now I wanted to ask about having the player move from one area of the level to another without the teleporting effect. Right now I have the player moving to the designated area, but the teleporting wave effect still happens on the player afterwards. How would I go about just having a 'door to door' effect in a level, maybe with a possible fade out -> fade in to new location?

Also, how would I have a closer view of the player? I didn't want to break any of the events by adding anything without asking.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 am

YoHoho wrote:I'm really liking how this template was put together, especially since practically everything is done without using functions.

Now I wanted to ask about having the player move from one area of the level to another without the teleporting effect. Right now I have the player moving to the designated area, but the teleporting wave effect still happens on the player afterwards. How would I go about just having a 'door to door' effect in a level, maybe with a possible fade out -> fade in to new location?

Also, how would I have a closer view of the player? I didn't want to break any of the events by adding anything without asking.

Thanks YoHoho!
Moving the player to another location on same level should easy. I would suggest you use a zone sprite. Use the action variable (e.g. set it to 'MovePlayer' and add some logic. Here is a sample of action 'ShowText':
If you need fading and so, take a look at the way the teleport works (copy logic from there as you see fit).

Regarding zooming , you can use the CameraTool. Just set zoom to e.g. 1.3 and camera will zoom 130%:
If you need a "complicated" (in my term a 'scene') I would suggest to copy the scene 'HearSound' and adjust the action as you like.
Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Nice Template. Now I do have to mention you are using Function to do some stuff ... you should use it to do some repetitive stuff too like the really repetitive code of the toggle switch... I'm replacing your Player object with my (differently named one) to try some stuff and I noticed how many times its the same again and again... just for optimizations sake :) I'm sure its not the first time I've had to change things like that but that's the example that comes to mind. I'm still undecided if I want my character pixeled or vector/looking
Freefall Bird
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Ragevortex wrote:Nice Template. Now I do have to mention you are using Function to do some stuff ... you should use it to do some repetitive stuff too like the really repetitive code of the toggle switch... I'm replacing your Player object with my (differently named one) to try some stuff and I noticed how many times its the same again and again... just for optimizations sake :) I'm sure its not the first time I've had to change things like that but that's the example that comes to mind. I'm still undecided if I want my character pixeled or vector/looking

Hi Ragevortex

Good and true input. Thanks.

Be sure to post stuff from your game. I would love to see it! :-)
Kind Regards,
Mikael Thomsen
www.solunasoftware.com
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Scirra Store