Ethanon Engine

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm

[quote="Ashley":zc6aruot]Interesting. Do you think it has any particular advantages over Construct?
[/quote:zc6aruot]

I liked the particle system because you could edit in realtime. That's really annoying in construct to edit such things as particles or plasma, because you need to start the layout every time to see the changes.

The UI is too confusing for me and the whole scripiting stuff too...
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 am

yeah , real time edit on particles system would be great. I agree about the scripting too, though i am a programmer , i like to program and etc. but in this case the block-of-code scripting system in construct is far better and smooth to program... maybe when python take more or total control in the engine i will use it too...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:20 am

[quote="deadeye":1a3lap21]As for actual depth sorting on a pixel level using normal or heightmaps, that would require a change in the Construct renderer I believe. Dave and Ash said they were thinking about doing this for C2 iirc.[/quote:1a3lap21]

Sweet. Yeah the main problem with the current renderer is that you cannot reference more than one texture from an object (foreground tex sampler) and there's the background that can be used as a second texture (background text sampler) but that doesn't always make sense. Also, the render target is always the framebuffer.

So if one could customise the shading pipeline and have objects that hold more than one texture per frame, one could do this kind of stuff (and more!)

Not an easy thing to accomplish, though.
Still, I'm excited about the posibilities seen on those videos.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

hI
This engine is interesting. I have tried it, but I don't have the shadows, and the engine is not pretty ccol than the layers editor of Construct.

I think it could be really great to have this system of shadows and multi-textures in an object in Construct.
A multi-textures/image for a sprite is good to others things like customisation for a character (to equip himself with sword, clothes..), or other interestings things ("static" shadows).

Perhap's a shadow systeme could be "faked" by a filter like dropshadow but in isometric view, with an option like moving the top of the shadow, and give to the SizeY of transformation (/3 for example), we could fake a shadow system.
Not the same, but another shadow system :).

The source of this engine seems to be here :
http://ethanon.svn.sourceforge.net/

or an old link here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ethanon ... p/download

Edit :
One of my test :

If you want to test the Sprite , and if you do the same in construct, you can post .cap :

B
S
G

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm

I saw this forever ago... In fact I'm pretty sure someone linked it in a thread in Open Topic ages ago, but I'm too lazy/tired/careless to find it.

Looks pretty neat, but also looks very convoluted to use. Interesting that it finally came out though, I thought it was a dead project.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic