Event Sheet organization

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:21 am

I like to keep all of my core gameplay mechanisms in a single event sheet, which I organise by being very liberal with groups and sub-groups. It's also where I keep my debug group, which I sometimes split off into its own sheet if it gets too big. I then use a small event sheet for each of my game's levels. I also use a separate event sheet for global variables, as those can't be neatly tucked away in a group (for some strange reason).

I find that this process forces me to make my events reusable, so in my level event sheets I basically just put in the parameters for each level, like MonsterSpawnRate or LevelTime, which is then passed along to the main event sheet. If a particular level has its own unique mechanisms, then I just put those events in the local event sheet. As soon as I find that I want to use those events in another level, I go back to them and make them suitable for reuse by changing any fixed numbers that need to be variable, and move them to the core sheet.

Otherwise, I comment for every major block of code, but this is often superfluous and I just do it to visually break up the events. I also make sure that my projects tab is well organise with groups and sub-groups, and I do my best to use families wherever possible. I'm also now starting to get into the habit of making better use of functions where it's appropriate, like for character dialogue.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:18 pm

@GeometriX - So you like to have a very "categorical" sense of organization to your Events, but without much flipping through pages, eh?
I'm seeking Narnia. Who wants to come with me! Aslan is on the move!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 am

@Rhindon, yeah, that sounds about right. I'll organise major groups under initialisation, UI, player controls, enemy behaviour and so on, with sub-groups for more specific things.

Personally, I find the tabbing in C2 to be pretty chaotic. It never saves tab positions and with all the tabs on one line it becomes a chore to flip through them when you get quite a few going.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm

@GeometriX - I hear ya. I started using groups in a similar way that I'm now starting to use individual Event sheets: to keep things isolated and uncluttered. I still have more to learn about the ins-and-outs of both uses...

The one thing that I'd definitely like to see is easier editing of the Event tabbing. Like use the left/right arrow keys to increase or decrease selected (and related sub) Events by one level. I imagine @Ashley (playful hint-hint! ;) ) has thought of this and is aware of issues I'm not if this were to be tried.
I'm seeking Narnia. Who wants to come with me! Aslan is on the move!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General