Ever heard of Minecraft?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:57 am

Whoa! I saw this lake in the sandbox and I had the engineering impulse of building a tunnel under it, that goes over a bridge crossing this underground lake I found.

Beautiful!

Now I wonder about the game around it but... is there any? is it online? can anyone explain how the official paid version works?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:38 am

[quote="abhilash2863":2eaeevsd]kind of offtopic but does anyone know any similar survival game ??[/quote:2eaeevsd]

With less focus on the mining and more focus on surviving (you need to eat food, drink water, sleep, etc), Stranded 2 is a pretty good survival game ([url:2eaeevsd]http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/s2_infos.php[/url:2eaeevsd]).

[quote="madster":2eaeevsd]Now I wonder about the game around it but... is there any? is it online? can anyone explain how the official paid version works?[/quote:2eaeevsd]

The paid version lets you play singleplayer survival mode (and when beta is released, multiplayer survival mode), where you have to find the resources to make tools, and build shelter from the creatures that come out at night and hunt you, but usually disappear when it's daytime. It also adds alot of buildable items like stairs, ladders, boats, minecarts, and minecart tracks to make fun inventions like rollercoasters (video on main page of [url:2eaeevsd]http://www.minecraft.net[/url:2eaeevsd]), or just use them for exploring the maps.

At the moment, the multiplayer online appears to only be creative mode (unless you join a modified server, which could be anything from Portal to Role Playing), which is similar to the free version. However, creative mode in the paid version allows you to make items as you normally would in single player.

Also, the game is updated all the time (even now it's only 1.5 years old) and any updates or expansions come free once you own it. So although the game doesn't have a distinct goal or ending at the moment, the creator has mentioned that he would like to have some method of winning the game.

Edit: forgot to mention, paid users can also download a client to play the game in instead of just playing it in their browser.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Bought this game some weeks ago. It's a really cool idea and really addictive :D
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:04 pm

[quote="madster":15qu3gvk]Now I wonder about the game around it but... is there any? is it online? can anyone explain how the official paid version works?[/quote:15qu3gvk]
These are the videos on YouTube that I was on about.
He's done 33 videos on Minecraft, and he's learning about the game as he's playing which I think adds to the fun of watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4EexJO4I

If you read my first post in this thread, you'll see how sceptical I was about the game.
This morning I purchased the game, and this afternoon I enjoyed a couple of hours building my base.

Great fun.
And if you read the info on MineCraft.net you'll see that there's quite a few nice things on the way with the updates planned (like hidden temples!!!).

24 hours ago I'd never heard of it.
Today, it's all we can do to stop ourselves playing it. :lol:

Seriously, you need to watch the videos I've linked to.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Huge fan of Minecraft, avid player & enthusiast :-)

Right now the single player game is having some performance issues, it usually runs way faster and without the stuttering we're experiencing.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Tried it.

Addicted.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Been meaning to try this out for like, ever.

Someone in chat mentioned something about it a few days back... I thought I hadn't heard of it before until I watched the video and realised I had seen it prior.

The multiplayer survival aspect sounds particularly interesting.

I suppose it is worth keeping an eye on this one... could prove to be a bit of fun :D

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 pm

So, we need a server going.

Edit: Darnation, Minecraft Alpha doesn't have MP client out yet... Here is consolation prize:

B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Is Snow a new thing?

I played around with MineCraft Yesterday just to get used to everything, and Today I started my real go.
I hadn't seen any snow in the videos I've watched, but there was plenty of snow going on in my world.

Looks great at night:

BTW, if you're wondering what happened to my energy, I was extending the basement area when I somehow let about 5 or 6 zombies through a wall.
I'm not sure exactly how many there was, because I ran away with my single heart left. :lol:
I know I saw a zombie generator down there, so I've got to sort it out later.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:18 pm

[quote="Mipey":3oc5flek]So, we need a server going.

Edit: Darnation, Minecraft Alpha doesn't have MP client out yet...[/quote:3oc5flek]

Well, it doesn't have survival mode multiplayer yet, but Alpha still has a form of multiplayer (The main differences between it and single player are that it runs in God mode with no monsters, only animals).

You can download the server program here: [url:3oc5flek]http://www.minecraft.net/download/Minecraft_Server.exe[/url:3oc5flek]

[quote="KrushBrother":3oc5flek]Is Snow a new thing?[/quote:3oc5flek]

I think it has been around for a couple of versions, but at the moment there isn't a weather transition/season system so if you start with a snow world, it stays snowing forever. I've also seen rain in Minecraft in a video on the youtube channel of the guy who is making the game, but haven't managed to generate a world with it yet myself.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic