Every X Seconds Event Bugs

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Problem Description
There are multiple bigger and weird issues with the Every X Seconds Event!
1. The Event "Every X Seconds" can not be set as "AND" after a Function if you try to add another condition.
However it IS possible to add "Every X Seconds" after a function, if you create "Every X Seconds" as an own single event, and then simply DRAG it up to the Function Event!
2. If Function + Every X Seconds Events are set together as AND. And you try to EDIT the Every X Seconds, it will open an edit window for "Compare two values" rather than for Every X Seconds itself!

Attach a Capx
http://www.chainsofwar.com/EveryXSeconds.capx

Description of Capx
The capx does nothing specific, but please test what i've said above on your own. You will notice the bugs pretty fast if you follow my instructions!
You can also checkout these pictures here, which say almost everything about the issue.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
    Checkout problem description, that should do the deal already to reproduce it.

Observed Result
1. Can not add "Every X Seconds" after Functions Event
2. Opens Edit window for "Compare two values"

Expected Result
1. Every X Seconds should be pickable in the "Add condition" Window picking "System"
2. Open correct Edit window on Every X Seconds Event

Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 8.1 64bit

Construct 2 Version ID
Issue on Construct 2 Beta
r174 64bit
r175 64bit
Last edited by Everade on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Addition which is bound to the issues above.

There's another issue.
Example:

Function Test
and
System Variable Check >0

You can't move Every X Seconds Event into those 2 above if they are together as "AND" by Drag & Drop
Construct 2 will give you the error message "Some conditions were not moved"

However it's possible to move Function Test only down to Every X Seconds.
And then also System Variable Check >0 down to Every X Seconds to bring them all together.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:16 pm

@Everade I have the same OS and r175 just like yours. I cant produce your bug, seems fine at my end. I opened your capx and drag dropped the event, I can take out the every second event out but cant put it back. Have you tried reinstall your r175 to see whether it persist?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:08 pm

@DuckfaceNinja
Please read properly....
As i've said already: (However it IS possible to add "Every X Seconds" after a function, if you create "Every X Seconds" as an own single event, and then simply DRAG it up to the Function Event!)

And i wrote that this bug is persistent on both, revision 174 AND 175
Which means i have re-installed it already in the meantime.
Still the bug persists.

And you've said it yourself that you were not able to put it back in.
So you just confirmed the bug yourself and then you're saying you can't reproduce it?!

Also the screenshots should be pretty self explanatory.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:34 pm

DuckfaceNinja wrote:@Everade I have the same OS and r175 just like yours. I cant produce your bug, seems fine at my end. I opened your capx and drag dropped the event, I can take out the every second event out but cant put it back. Have you tried reinstall your r175 to see whether it persist?

@Everade Yes I did read properly... and even tried doing it from scratch.
I'm replying this thread so that @Ashley know it doesn't happen to everybody even despite having the same OS and C2 version. Cheers ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:55 pm

hmmmm... weird.
maybe caused by a plugin?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Closing as won't fix. This is mostly by design. The editor tries to stop you from adding an 'Every X seconds' condition to a trigger, because it makes no sense. (What are you expecting this to do?)

If you drag around conditions in a certain order then you can work around this limitation. It's pretty awkward to fix this and the resulting event doesn't make sense anyway, so I'm not convinced we need to write the awkward code to fix this. Just don't do it :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Wait what?

I'm kinda confused now?
Why is this supposed to be awkward code?

I know i'm a beginner, but it makes pretty much sense to me to use it this way, besides...
It's actually working as expected!

Please read:
I've used the "Every X Seconds" after a function for my Bullet System.
There are multiple functions i call. 9mm Bullets, 12Gauge, 50.cal etc, all differnt types of bullets, depending on the weapon i use, i simply call the right bullet function on mouseclick.

The Every X Seconds works "the way i use it here" as a simple COOLDOWN for the whole function.
So just perfect for my case!

If i shoot now with my pumpgun, i want to have a 1 second delay on it, so i can only shoot every second.
So EVEN if i call the function again after 0.5 seconds, the Function will not trigger.
It will only trigger again ones the cooldown is over.

While my nail gun for example, is full-auto, however with a reduced fire-rate (every 0.1 seconds)
(because the nail function can be called every tick, while all other bullets can only be triggered ones)

How is that supposed to be weird?
It's actually the easiest way i've found to get it to work this way, and it works like a charm.
Am i the only one who's using it like this? If yes, have i invented something here ? xD (gimme a gold medail for new invention lol)

The only issue i have is that Construct 2 is bugged in case of adding this cooldown.
Next to that, ones i want to simply balance the cooldown and increase it by another second, i will have to write a complete new event and drag&drop it, rather than by simply EDIT the event....

Checkout the pictures, so you can see how i'm currently using it:
B
S
G

Return to Closed bugs