[Example] Verve! A mini game of skill

Post your own tutorials, guides and demos.

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:19 am

@sved
Thank you very much, it is not that I'm fishing for compliments. I just need some kind of feedback. For the platform issue it won't help, I'm afraid, as it isn't a platformer ;)

@scidave
Thank you. I know you wanted to encourage me, but compared to what you experienced, I just feel so small right now. Like screaming before the doctor even touched you :D
Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, but, well, I'm someone who needs feedback. It doesn't matter if it is criticism or approval, just a reaction is fine. When there is nothing, you are so insecure...and I hate that :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:20 am

>> Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, but, well, I'm someone who needs feedback.

I posted the same exact thing in my tutorials so I think you should too..it's being real. I can't stand not hearing anything too!

I do think you should be getting a lot more downloads...which would hopefully increase the feedback although maybe not the percentage of feedback. We should get Verve added to sourceforge page and to JamesX list of tuts. I got more downloads when my tuts got added to both those locations.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:52 pm

I just downloaded the 'Verve!' example and wanted to point out a couple of things:

1, The intro screen (Press any key) doesn't tell you what what the game is about, or what you have to do ?
2, When the main game starts all i can see is what appears to be a torch or light beam, but i havent a clue what i should do next?
3, The main game screen is virtually black(on my system)
4, I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast, but it didnt make any difference

Heres a couple of screen captures i made:

Dont get me wrong, im not criticising the example, im just pointing out what it looks like on my system!

chrisbrobs2011-09-06 17:54:35
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Can you build it? When I open it up the whole construct hangs up and ccrashes (using latest build).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Builds and runs fine for me.

@chrisbrobs

It's just a basic drive in the dark game using the arrow keys to hit markers, but I see what you mean re: instructions. For completeness, the instructions should probably be made visible or available on the first screen.

There are lots of really good techniques inside, regardless :) People can learn a lot from this.zenox982011-09-06 19:08:48
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 am

I'm also going to put it in a Check-Out-Later-folder!
Thanks Tulamide.
Maybe we need to click on the +1 to show appreciation^_^?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 am

Thank you :)

------------------------------------
[QUOTE=chrisbrobs] I just downloaded the 'Verve!' example and wanted to point out a couple of things:

1, The intro screen (Press any key) doesn't tell you what what the game is about, or what you have to do ?
2, When the main game starts all i can see is what appears to be a torch or light beam, but i havent a clue what i should do next?
3, The main game screen is virtually black(on my system)
4, I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast, but it didnt make any difference[/QUOTE]

Hi chrisbrobs,

1, I didn't expect that the game would need any instructions, and I focused on the events rather. I agree, it should do so. I will extend the start screen with the possibility to view instructions, and will be using it to introduce yet another of CC's helpful programming options ;)
2, will hopefully be no issue when the instructions are implemented.
3, It is intended to be so. You will recognize that the light will change over time from near black to dark red, to reveal a bit more of the scene. If it doesn't fade back and forth between those two colors, please tell me so.
4, that's good news :D No, really, the interesting part of that example is that you need to drive carefully to not bump into the obstacles. But again, I want to stress that it wasn't the game itself that serves as an example, but the events and the techniques used, independent of the game itself.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I just recognize that thread here and it's really sad, I didn't found/commented it yet .

Better late than never! This is a really good example game of massive tutorials in there and it's that usefull, that I don't feel ashamed to raise it back from 2011^^ Because even nowadays, user ask for things, that are described and commented in that game. Thanks Tulamide^^zyblade2012-06-11 13:17:00
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 am

Thank you, @zyblade :)

I hope it still is of good help for all our new developers here.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:27 pm

@tulamide please can your check the link to the verve file again, the capx file in the archive is .cap and doesn't launch with construct. Would appreciate your help as i want to see if it would help in working around my high score creations
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Your tutorials & example files