.EXE Maker object would be AMAZING (anyone?)

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm

ME9876543: Your app could just have a button that downloads the latest version of Construct. Then they can make an exe with Construct.

Mipey: I think he wants to make an exe from an exe made from construct. (edit...oops didnt see that your questions was already answered)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:19 pm

ME9876543 was banned for being a jerk or they call it troll. But he learned his lesson see,,,
I'm NOTME9876543 and what I think ME9876543 was trying to get at with the EXE feature is
something a bit more reasonable. Like I would like to make a very neat program that organizes
something..anything and packages it as a runnable exacutable.

An simple example would be to have the user input a number of preferences and give
a folder location of his text files (poetry,novel,songs,screenshots or whatever) and the
program would do its thing (organize,format,beautify,add its two cents...) and then give you
the user a finished eBook or slideshow or random poetry speech or game play hints or replays in a nice portable executable package...or make a product that one could $ell for cash.

Something like that maybe.
B
G

Post » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:04 am

You can already do this if you make two applications in Construct:

Make a Construct app that reads some data files and does something based on that
Make a Construct app that generates the data files, and copy that with the 'runner' app somewhere, and you've got a 'custom' EXE.

I can't see anything else working. We're never going to implement the Construct IDE in the runtime, that would be a nightmare. So I actually like UberLou's solution of "just download Construct" :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 am

I talked to a friend today about this and I think that people are slightly confused about what Im really thinking here. My friend was under the impression that such a feature would allow a user to create a program that is in direct competion with Construct itself. and someone thought this

[quote="UberLou":4mzvqryl] Your app could just have a button that downloads the latest version of Construct. Then they can make an exe with Construct.[/quote:4mzvqryl]

Which isnt what I would want because the idea is this...if you will follow the process....

Say Im putting plenty of thought and effort into creating an eBook with construct...the interface is beautiful and the page-turning is smooth and its just a fabulous experience to read my eBook which I have output to a stand-alone executable format...a nice product that I can sell thanks to the hard effort of all the sweet people that developed Construct (thanks guys\gals).

Now remember that >I< ...thats me... I put some effort and creativity into my creation also...It didnt just happen by pushing a few buttons in Construct...there was some programming and artwork and logistics and previous knowledge of how to get specific results from the Construct.

Now all I want is to be able to make a program in construct that allows the user to pick an interface style and set a few options and tell my program where the text or html files are located and push the done button and my program outputs a beautiful eBook like the one that took me a month to put together in construct...my program wouldnt be competing with construct and my users wouldnt even know how to get the results that my program gives if they tried to in construct unless they put many hours in but why would they when my app does it for them in under 2 minutes. "Pow!" they output a Sky- blue gradient Love story they can sell...then they output a hot red ebook about Office politics that they give-away to all thier co-workers.

Sure maybe I could make and exe that could do alot of what construct itself can do but why would I want to replicate something great when the real thing would always be so much greater...it wouldnt happen.

The idea is to allow the user of my creation to create and ouptut a program that creates an executable product (its just another file format people). Heck I create and have created and app that outputs unique .bmp images of a partitular look and think maybe it would be nice if i could make a program that output slideshows ...standalone slideshow exe Apps Thats all Im saying

Now relate that to you game creators out there...you could create a program that outputs an exexcutable that is of use to the gamer...like as a gamer I would like to have a program that makes a stand-alone personalized gaming highlites replay or slideshow or high score thingie...etc.

Sorry about the length please excuse me.

OOOOPS just saw Ashley already replied with solution...dont know if that would work the way Im thinking but Ill explore your suggestion.

thanks alot for the info ...I appreciate it. :D
B
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 am

You didn't really have to explain all that again. We completely understood you the first time. Well, at least I did.

Anyway, like others have said, you could make an eBook reader program that uses a file format you created, or you could even just make an eBook template for Construct that people could compile .exes with by adding their own content, but you won't be able to make an .exe that can make .exes.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 am

Sorry I forgot there was more then the first page of replies....my bad. :shock:
B
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 am

Oh I thought that maybe the programmers are magical enough to do the undoable ... I really dont undstand a heck of alot about the deep down workings of the machines inner workings. But do you know why they cant make it so a person can make a program that makes an exe?
B
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:39 am

I don't know... quantum physics?

I really have no idea, but I imagine it would be a pretty complex and time consuming thing to do, and it's not like there's a lot of need for it. You're the only person who as ever expressed any interest in this feature.

Anyway they said no. Since it's not gonna happen I don't see the point in drawing this out any more so I'm going to have to summon the bacon fairy...

B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 am

[quote="NOTME9876543":1u03cpxi]Oh I thought that maybe the programmers are magical enough to do the undoable... But do you know why they cant make it so a person can make a program that makes an exe?[/quote:1u03cpxi]
It's not only just that it's technically hard to to - it's that nobody's said how it should be done. Would you write a special kind of event that also specifies how an exported EXE should work? If so what would that look like and how would it work? Or would it attach data to the EXE like my earlier idea? Or something else?

You may not understand how computers work, but we're not mind readers either. If someone suggests a very complex system without explaining how it would actually work, how are we meant to implement it? If we were unwise enough to try and do it anyway without a proper idea of what it is we're making, then we might also end up making something that you didn't want, because you never said exactly how it should work, just what the end result is!

We get this with a lot of feature requests. Things like "Wouldn't it be cool if you could create dynamic events?". Well, what does that mean? How should it work? What are the benefits over existing methods? In the software business people write pages and pages of detailed specifications for new features before even writing a line of code, so it's clear how it should work. As you can imagine, a simple "I want something that does blah" statement is quite far away from that...
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion