Execute screen size @ 200% [solved]

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Set of 200 hand drawn skill icons. All icons are of a high quality.
  • Hi,

I'm working on an 8-bit NES inspired game and my layout is 256x224. I want to continue to work at this scale, but I want the game to scale up 200% (512 x 448) when it's executed. I have an art background, but I'm not a programmer. Is there an easy way to achieve this?

Thanks.

<font color=red>Edit: problem solved</font>

I'll post a walk through for anyone searching for the same answer.

Step 1

----------

Add event:

System > Start & End > On start of layout

Add the following actions to it:

System > Layers & Layout > Set layout scale > Scale: 2.0 (or whatever size you want)

System > Display > Set canvas size > Width: 512 Height: 448 ( or whatever size matches the scaled layout)

Step 2

----------

View Project Properties > Configuration Settings > Sampling: Point

Special thanks to shinkan for the help.

• I too would love to know how to do this. In Stencyl there was just a setting for 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. So when building retro games you could make a screen with 32x32 pixels, set it up to 2x and have a screen at 64x64 pixels.

Any simple way to do this?

• You can set the fullscreen mode setting to 'Integer scale', which scales up the game with a factor of 1x, 2x, 3x, ... (depending of the window size).

This won't force the game to 2x the scale which you asked for, but it's at least something in the right direction.

You could also try setting the scale rate of the layout to 2, and see if this works the way you want.

• Thank you for the response. I've tried using the 'integer scale', but the pixel art doesn't stay crisp. I was hoping if I can control the zoom, instead of the scale, it would keep the pixel art sharp.

Is there a way to have the game zoom in 200% or 2x and enlarge the window the same?

• I was wondering how to do this just the other day.

It's a feature easy to do with native EXE game makers like Game Maker.

For my game - My Irrational Fear of Unicorns, I wanted smooth movements but with 8-bit styled graphics, so I just had to scale my graphics all manually in C2.

• something like this change size ?

use left and right mouse buttons to scale up/down

• something like this change size ?

use left and right mouse buttons to scale up/down

Link is broken and/or dead.

• You mean something like this? [link removed] (it's an 8-bit game i'm making, it's set to 2x) let me know, then I check how I did it

• Here you go, forgot I was doing some cleanup on my dropbox.

change size

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 7Soul

Exactly like that. I'm using a laptop with a small screen to build the game and when I test the game out, it's too small to see what's happening. Resizing the window deteriates the sprites. I need the it to zoom in to enlarge the layout or I'll have to enlarge the sprites manually. I have a lot of art, so I cringe at the thought.

shinkan

Yes! You're a life saver! The pixel art looks great in your example. I like how you used the mouse to resize the screen from 2x to the actual size. That's clever. I'm guessing if I change the mouse function to System>Start & End>On start of layout then this will become the default size? Actually, I going to switch it up and make a keystroke change the size and let the player have that option.

Thank you!

• Yes, mouse was only for showing. You can use keyboard, start of layout, variables - anything you want to change it.

• Awesome! Thanks again. :)

• Ok, I tested it out and it didin't work out too well. I typed in the exact same events and the sprites still look terrible. What image format did you use to create the ship in your example? Maybe that's the problem.

• They are simple png

Did you change Sampling to Point for your project?

Default Sampling for new project is always Linear.

For a quick test.

In my project file try to swap my ship image to your image and see how it will look.

• That fixed it. I did have it set to linear. It scales perfectly now. Thank you very much!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)