Exoder - Devlog - PLAYABLE DEMO inside

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 am

Hero Shot

B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 am

And with that, Exoder's soundtrack is complete. As a side note, the sound effects are also complete. There is still quite a bit left to do but I'm inching closer and closer to Exoder's completion. Exciting and stressful times.

https://soundcloud.com/vincent-guff/exo ... old-breath

https://soundcloud.com/vincent-guff/exoder-ost-illusory

https://soundcloud.com/vincent-guff/exoder-ost-surface
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Very nice audio and visuals!

How do you put out checkpoints? I tried Lb (and like all other buttons), but count figure it out... It might be worth it to make a controller with arrows on the "controls screen".

I usually jump directly in and try all of the buttons. When I first tried the dash button nothing happened, because I didn't press any direction. I think it might be worth it to have some kind of sound anyway, just to let the player know that the button does something. Or just have the player dash in the direction you are facing.

I will try I more when I know how to put out checkpoints :)
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 am

@risto

First you need to be far enough away from the current checkpoint, which is signalled by the visibility of the checkpoint icon in the bottom right of the HUD (if it's visible you can pop a checkpoint).

Then you have to stand still and HOLD the checkpoint button for a few seconds until the checkpoint pops. So it's not just a simple matter of hitting the button, you have to really commit and find a peaceful spot in order to lay down a checkpoint.

There is an audio cue when you are charging up the checkpoint, but the final build has a visual cue as well.

There are definitely nuances and details that aren't properly explained in the short "controls info" screen so maybe that needs some updating.

Thanks for the feedback : )
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:26 am

Just wanted to share some gifs from the first level of the near final build of the game.

There's a bunch of new effects in place now, as well as a bunch of tweaks since the demo.

Most things are invisible behind the scenes stuff like what determines the odds for the item drops, but some are more obvious like how scoring has been scaled down (since it will stack through the entire game) and the jewel limit has been doubled.

Streaking shadows, death 'splode and gleaming UI.

Checkpoint visual cue.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:26 am

Good stuff :)

Brookesy wrote:First you need to be far enough away from the current checkpoint, which is signalled by the visibility of the checkpoint icon in the bottom right of the HUD (if it's visible you can pop a checkpoint).

How far away exactly?

I made a gameplay recording here, but seems that I never get far enough?
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 am

The exact number is greater than 1,500 pixels away from the current checkpoint in order to pop a new one. For context, the entire level is 17,000 pixels high, so there are plenty of chances to lay down checkpoints. It doesn't take long to reach the first threshold.

Your video isn't working for me, but here is my own walkthrough of the demo if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/L4YOkv0Gjwc

Pretty sure I drop some checkpoints during this.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 pm

I missed to make the video public but it should work now.

I watched your gameplay video, very long level :D I hardly got halfway to the point where its possible to drop the first checkpoint. I don't know exactly how hard you want the game to be, but I usually get surprised of how much new players struggle with a game in the beginning.

I usually enjoy challenging games, like super meatboy, dark souls, or hollow knight, but in these games you usually don't have to replay so much when you fail, I guess the checkpoint system is inspired by ori and the blind forest? It works great in that game because you can inch your way forward with checkpoints if you need to, or save up the mana for power attacks.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 am

Wow the audio and even more so the visuals on this thing are insane
In a good way lol

But I had such a hard time actually playing through the demo not so much because of the actual game's difficulty, but because the keyboard controls and ambiguity of how checkpoints work made it feel so taxing to try and play

Brilliant work graphically and atmospherically, but yeah like some others said in the comments keyboard controls could definitely use some work, and checkpoints need to be explained somewhere along in there

Best of luck moving forward with this project :D Can't wait to see how it turns out!
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests